March 28, 2008

PFC #3

Time to put up the pics for the third Picture Fiction Challenge.

Last one saw a few newcomers from the first one, and offered a lot of really interesting and good stories to read. I've enjoyed this little challenge tremendously, and I'm so glad to hear some of you find it both inspiring and challenging. I hope you all continue to play along, and I hope others decide to give it a shot as well.

I'll leave the links to PFC#2 stories on the sidebar - and there is always the archives where you can go back and read stories from past PFC's if you want to. The feedback we get from readers (participating or not) is important, so keep reading and commenting!

Deadline for PFC#3 will be set at April 16th - April 18th.

Ok, lets take a look at the rules (if you're new to this):

THE PICTURES:
Each picture below represents a certain aspect of the story. Analyze each picture and try to interpret what you see into the specific category the picture represents.

Character(s): The main character(s) of your story. This is the person(s) whose perspective the story is told through. You can have any number of additional characters, but the one(s) on this picture are who we will relate to.

Objective: This is the overall objective of the story. That which our main character is trying to achieve - what the MC is trying to reach. This is the objective of the story.

Setting: The place where the story unfolds.

Item: An item of significant* importance to the story.

Random: This could be a picture of anything at all, and what you see on that picture must have a significant* importance in the story you write.

*significant. That means that these things do not simply appear in a fleeting moment in the story. They hold an importance to the events that unfold, and are as such necessary to the outcome and progression of the story.

THE STORY:

All of the picture representations must be present in the final story.

The story you write can be as long or short as you wish.

You can write the story in either first or third person perspective.

The story must be a fictional story.

DEADLINE & POSTING:

The deadline to post the story on your blog will be between 16th - 18th of April. Not sooner - not later! (Ideally, everyone posts on the 16th, but I'm giving you a couple extra days because there are many reasons one may not be able to post on a specific day)

Let me know in a comment when you have posted your contribution, so I can add a link to your blog (and story) in a list of all participants on my sidebar.

Read the other people's stories (only after you've posted your own) and comment on their writing.


Ok. I know you're dying to see the pictures this month. As usual, I am not doing any selection what so ever - it is completely random. The only thing I do is select the first picture that could possibly represent the category... for example, when I draw the Character pic - the first picture with a human being on it is chosen from the random display on Flickr.

The only one that causes a problem, really, is the Objective picture. I keep staring at them, and asking myself - is there an Objective here? I mean - just about anything can be an Objective, so I guess just using whatever picture comes first is what I should do (and, I'm almost sure I've done that so far). I mean - first one we got a close-up of a pretty girls face - yes, there's an Objective. Second time we got the tiger cubs - and Objective indeed. The one present in today's challenge is likely to be more open for interpetration... we'll see.

Any suggestions on how I should work my mind around deciding the Objective for future PFC's? I'd like to know...

Item, Setting and Random are of course real simple. For each category I click for a new random page.

For Item - I use the first *drum roll* item I come across.

Setting - the same, any location will do... so many beach pics on Flickr. Missed out on them this month, but I'm seriously considering ignoring those.

Random - for this one I get a new random page on Flickr. There are 9 pics on a page, and I have a 10 sided dice. 0 means I click for a new page, 1-9 represents the pics left to right, top to bottom.

Just thought I'd clear up the selection process, in case you're wondering.

This is what we get to work with next month:

**********






**********

Remember! You can click the pictures here and go to the Flickr page they came from, so you can see higher resolution versions of them.

Ok. Now get those creative juices flowing, and you have plenty of time to finish this one up. I've been working my way towards the middle of the month with this challenge, where I'll try to keep it. I'll always make it a Wednesday through Friday deadline.

I'm making it mid-month, so as not to be too close to my Monthly Commenter Story, leaving me with plenty of time to do both during the month.

Write On!

40 comments:

Dianne said...

Oh Wow - this one should be really interesting.

I saw two entirely different things in the main character. The picture really changed for me when I enlarged it.

And every story needs a demonic coconut.

Dana said...

The one present in today's challenge is likely to be more open for interpetration... we'll see.

One of the things I tried out last time - and I think I will again this time - is to see/feel the emotions behind the photo rather than the photo at face value. It opens the story up for much more creativity. I'm quite excited about these pics as they have some great potential!

Thanks for sharing how you choose the photos, not that I am surprised by your impartiality, but I did wonder how you managed with such an overwhelming selection. I think the way you are doing it is perfect! Some times we get an easier go with them and some times we have to try a little harder. It just makes the challenge .. well ... more challenging!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Is that a sock zombie? Hmmmmm...ideas are kinda' starting to trickle....

The setting is beautiful for a city scene.

Alrightie...on to my day. I like having the PFC to run in the background window of my mind as I focus on the current window I'm working in!

Lator Gator!

R.E.H. said...

Dianne: Yeah, I thought this one was interesting. Difficult, though, as I think of it.

Demonic coconut? Haha! Love it!

Dana: You sure did a great job of reading behind the... pixels(?) last time.

Yeah, I thought it would be nice to share the selection process. I have a thing for randmoness, and indeed I want the same challenge that you guys are faced with.

Farmer's Wife: I'm still trying to figure out what the heck that thing is myself ;)

The setting is great, and allows a lot of freedom I think. It'll be interesting (again) to see what everyone comes up with.

Knight said...

Ooh! I like this one. I already have the story outline. This is a lot of fun so thanks for creating it.

Spiky Zora Jones said...

r.e.h. I have to get more into your blogg. It's awesome. I want to play too. I'll be gone though for a week...on vacation. I'll check back with you in a week.

Damn...you ROCK!

ciao babes.

Jay said...

This could be pretty wild. The character is pretty wild anyway. And there's a pretty stark contrast from the setting and the objective.

I'll need to start earlier on this so I'm not so late this time.

fiwa said...

I like those pictures! Ok, I swear I am going to make an honest effort to participate this time.

Jeff B said...

The PFC is how I found your blog recently and I'm looking forward to participating in it this time around.

That freaky little critter in the item catagory should make for some interesting twists in the stories.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

So I'm on my lunch break (yes I'm a SAHM, but I still have to schedule and prioritize my time...

So, I check my email and my finger tripped on the keyboard and I fell into your post of 11-14-07; Bloggie Paranoia.

I laughed so hard my fingers snorted a laugh across the keyboard.

So, that has nothing to do with PFC but, this is where I figured I'd find you today to say, "I agree with you, and I'm so glad I found your bloggie world."

;0)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

oops, this ")" fell out of my comment before it posted.

Anonymous said...

I AM doing it this time.. I have not breaks or vacation stop me!! plus it was a pic of a city, I will incorporate some Single in there!!

Smooches!!

Anonymous said...

My first instinct, upon a glance through the pictures, was to say "I think I'll sit this month out." But then my alter ego called myself a pansy for punking out. So I won't. But I'm not that excited about it. Then again, last month I wasn't either, until I actually started to write. So maybe it will be like that again. :)

Em

R.E.H. said...

Knight: You have a story already? Wow! Well, I thought I had one, but it fell apart ;)

Spiky Zora Jones: I'm pleased to have you come over here ;)

And, I would certainly look forward to what you come up with. Love your writing.

Jay: Yeah, I've already come up with many different ways to go with this one. Now I just have to narrow it down to the one.

I like that main character ;)

Fiwa: Yeah, I feel the pics are a little easier this time... or at least - more inspiring.

Jeff B: I'm glad the PFC has brought a bunch of new friends over. I'll be looking forward to reading your contribution.

That item pic really threw me a curve... it's fun - but what is it?

R.E.H. said...

Farmer's Wife (x2): That Blogging Paranoia post may be my personal favorite post of all time, so far. I remember that I enjoyed writing it tremendously.

Glad you found it, and happy you liked it.

Leighann: Trannies? I can only imagine what you'll come up with ;) Should be very interesting, I'm sure.

And you named the little brown monster? Cool!

Single In The City: That could be you up there rocking, right? ;) Yeah - this time you should participate... I already know you can write, so...

Emmeline: Well, I sure hope you find the inspiration. I am always looking forward to your story.

Things have a way of falling into place once you start writing.

Freakazojd said...

Oh my god, those are fantastic photos on which to base a story - I wish I had more time!! :)

Sparkling Red said...

Hey, I know that Item guy! I have a wallet with his likeness on it. I won't reveal his name. People will have to use their imaginations.

Anndi said...

I'll kick it around... maybe I'll give it a shot.

maybe...

R.E.H. said...

Freakazojd: If you can find the time - you know you're welcome to play!

Sparkling Red: Yeah, I know the guys name too - but I doubt I'm going to use it like that ;) I'm still not sure what he is.

Anndi: Well, I hope you do give it a try. It's a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

The little brown stuffed guy is called Domo Kun and he's a TV station mascot from Japan.

His name translates into english as "Mister Thank You."

You can watch some fun Domo Kun movies on You Tube.

Here's the TV station profile for Domo Kun: "A strange creature that hatched from an egg. His body is stout but his heart is pure. Loves TV. Often causes trouble by daydreaming and not paying attention to things. Lets out explosive farts when upset. Favorite food: Japanese-style meat and potato stew. Least favorite food: Apples.

Domo!

Anonymous said...

You're right about things falling into place once you begin. Sorry for the negativity of my earlier comment. I haven't been in the best mood today because of the moving stuff, and besides that, I am coming down with something. :( I'll try to be more positive next time around though. :)

Em

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

There goes unsigned again with his/her vast valley of knowledge. (yea, I clicked on the pic too and grasped the true name and history....)

OOP, I'm bad. Where did "that" attitude come from. Gosh, my (almost) five year old is rubbing off on me.

[thinking....thinking...thinking...crap, almost remembered!]

So, I had a REAL comment to make and now I used up a whole 1 of 3 and I wasted it gripin'.

Poop. Oh, (politely) "Thanks unsigned for sharing your knowledge of the brown guy and saving some bloggies the time to click the pic. I apologize for being rude and unmannerly./b>

(No, seriously? I meant it. The sarcasm comes from my almost five year old).

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Oh, so I remembered what I was REALLY gonna' say, but I'll comment it elsewhere since it doesn't fit all up in here in PFC world.

(Oooooh, got inspired and typed some story on computer virtual paper!!! Soooo excited. Not fantastic...but my brain sputtered for a third time!!!)

R.E.H. said...

Unsigned: Yeah, I had to look the little fella up myself, but I still doubt he'll be Domo Kun in my story though... one never knows though.

Emmeline: Don't worry about it. Moving is stressful stuff, and if you're coming down with something on top of it... that just makes it harder. Hope you fight off whatever illness is coming on...

Farmer's Wife (x2): Do I sense a little hostility towards Unsigned? ;)

About that story - are you going to share it on your blog?

Anonymous said...

Ugh! The PFC will be wild! lol :D

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I apologize for being hostile/cranky/catty.

I sat myself in the corner for 30+ minutes (you know, one minute for each year of age).

When I woke up I felt much better, and I will be a nice gal from now on.

Happy Saturday everyone!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know I showed a side of me that I did not want to share when I sent you that email.

So I told on myself!but seriously I am going to try it. I already got a lil something out of the pics!

Simma Down, We will get that rectified together.. You wanna make a lil trip. LOL!! I think You, knight and I are damage control on this blog.LOL!! WE ARE R.E.H MOBSTERS!!!

Anonymous said...

The last paragraph is for Farmers Wife and Knight! Yes I am leaving them messages on your blog!!!

Smooches R!!

R.E.H. said...

Joel: Yeah, I think this one will inspire quite some stories. I'm quite happy about the pictures.

Farmer's Wife: No need to apologize ;) I know you're only looking after me, with my best interest in mind.

Single In The City (x2): Why wouldn't you want to share that? You're already good, and practice makes perfect!

And I like the idea of you, Knight and Farmer's Wife being my mobsters... hehe - that's too funny ;)

Raven said...

Boy, I hope my brain cells kick in soon. NOTHING is coming to me at the moment. Not even a wisp of an idea... but I've got two weeks... hopefully by the middle of April some idea will club me over the head seep out my fingers. This is a true challenge... I love a challenge... I hate a challenge (the voices are arguing again...) Looking forward to mid April.

Jo said...

I love Mr. Thank You! I like the pics much better this round. As for the way you've been picking the Objective photo, going with the first one you see seems right to me since it's so open to interpretation. Nice that more people will be playing this time :)

R.E.H. said...

Raven: It really is a bitch when the voices in your head can't come to an agreement... ;)

You actually have two and a half weeks to come up with something. I'm sure you'll pull it off!

Jo: Yeah, I like the pics much better too. And I think I will continue to go for the Objective the way I have... or I will vary them by asking key "objective" questions, and once a picture is able to anwer it - I'll grab it... we'll see.

Anonymous said...

I am just a Little shy is all! LOL!! Never thought of having a lil insy bitsy bit of talent! LOL!!
Smooches!

R.E.H. said...

Single In The City: You just need to give yourself more credit.

L.P. said...

errr...ahhhh... after reading the comments i think i'll just wave. ~waving~
hope you're doing good.

R.E.H. said...

Naughty Lakota: What? No kisses today? :(

L.P. said...

always kisses for you. always. forever and ever.
~muuwahhhhh~

R.E.H. said...

Naughty Lakota: Sweet ;)

Jill said...

This one might be harder than the last one!! But at least, I've started early this time, already wrote a couple of lines!

R.E.H. said...

Jill: I think they're all going to be tough - initially. Once you get started... things have a way of falling into place. Glad to hear you'll be playing again!