March 5, 2008

Last Days Chronicles: Part 1

Starting today I will do something as boring as chronicle the last three days of working at my current job. Yes! Friday I will finally be set free, allowed to start life anew - far far away from the job I've been at for four years, and loathed for about two of them...

I'm going to take for granted that you know about me getting laid off from work, and also of the situation with Mr. Weenie-Hat the Union Rep, so I'm not getting into any of that here.

I will just tell you a little bit of my experiences these last few days.

Well, I got into work this morning. My boss is on vacation, so I won't ever have to see her again. In fact, as I arrived there was no one there who was in "charge" at the place. Not that we all don't know how to run the business anyway...

I had bought my breakfast at my usual coffee shop... I was sad to see that the hot girl who works there wasn't in today. Instead there was this other woman behind the counter whom I don't really like. She looks... dirty. I don't understand why a place that deals with food would hire a person like that... I mean - wouldn't you at least expect that someone who's going to touch what you're going to eat will look nice and clean?

Anyway... I got my cheese sandwich and my pistachio bun, and the orange juice that I usually buy there. That amounts to approx. $6.

As I sit down in the break room eating my breakfast, talking to the other three co-workers I will be spending my day with, I see a new schedule print-out on the table. I decide to look it over to make sure that I am scheduled correctly for the remaining month and a half that I am supposed to get pay without actually working... isn't that going to be sweet?

Now... that's when I started to become agitated. I am not even ON the darn thing. My name is nowhere to be found.

And, with the boss on vacation, and no one really in charge - who do I speak to?

Later, the Sales Manager came into work, despite having the day off, so I confront her about the situation. Of course, she doesn't know a thing. So I do the only thing that's left for me to do.

I call the District Manager... the schmuck in charge. I tell her that I'm not even on the schedule, and she tells me that I should be.

"Well, I'm not."

"Your store manager did the schedule on Monday. She should have included you."

"I know that... but I'm not there."

Apparently, after discussing the matter, it appears that she did, in fact, schedule me, but decided not to include me in the print-out. Alright, fair enough - but I want to see it, to make sure that the hours are the way they should be.

So, the district manager ended up faxing me a copy of the schedule. Could barely read the stupid thing, because our fax machine is from the middle ages or something. I'm getting someone else to print me a copy tomorrow - one that I will take with me home and keep in case they try to slip one by me here. They're not dealing with an imbecile here...

With that done. I leisurely helped out re-arranging the store in preparation for summer articles that are already coming into stock. I'm not busting my balls... but I need to make time go by a little at least.

I swear - today felt like a week at the place.

One of the co-workers I like, and will miss, got some sad news today. I was in the office when I hear her in the breakroom crying - speaking on the phone. My heart sank, as it sounded as if someone had died. I didn't want to interrupt her phonecall, and so I stepped outside to give her some space.

Turned out someone did die... it was her cat. Her neighbors had found the cat on their porch, curled up as if it was sleeping. After a while when the cat hadn't moved they realized he was dead, and so they called her up to tell of the bad news.

She's burying the cat tonight.

Oh! Almost forgot.

I'll be adding a song to the playlist each of those three days as well.

This time I chose "Wish I Had An Angel" by Nightwish. They are a Finnish hard rocking band that mixes the heavy with some "opera" like singing by the beautiful voice of Tarja. She's no longer with the band, and I don't really like their new album. She was what made them special!

This is a really good song!

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count Down to No more work!!! YAY!!!
Yes I am going to like hearing what is going to be going on!

I have never heard of the band that you are posting but I have liked the other ones soooooooo I know I will like them also!

Oh now I feel bad I said DEAD cat on my meme, yesturday! you attending the services? (LOL)

Okay, I am going to leave your page I am kinda like tipsy already and it is only 4pm here! I am a nut today, see ya later Mr. Green Eyes!

Ne. Aka Single!

Knight said...

I can't believe you have worked at that place for so long. They are ridiculous. Good thing you are almost out of there.
I'm liking this new song. The contrast of her very clear/angelic voice to the rocking instruments is an excellent mix.

fiwa said...

Yay! The end is in sight! I'm really excited for you - I think this is going to be a good time in your life.

Poor coworker/kitty. At least it sounds like it was a peaceful death, not run over by a car or anything horrible like that.

Enjoy your last week as a short timer!

fiwa
PS. About google reader not updating my blog, I know - I'm really sorry. It's because I had to go private. One more thing to hate about having a private blog: I miss all the random people stopping by, and it doesn't update in Google. :(

Jay said...

Two more days until sweet, sweet freedom! You've gotta be getting a little excited, right dude?

R.E.H. said...

Single In The City: It's cute that you are a little tipsy, and even more so that it is evident from your writing ;)

Probably won't be much going on, but I'm still going to document the boredom of those three days - if for no other reason but for me to return to if ever I get the dumb feeling that I miss the place ;)

Knight: I can't believe I've been there this long either.

Yes, it is the contrast of her voice to the hard music that makes them so good.

Fiwa: It's a mystery what killed the cat. It had been fine yesterday - no sign of illness. We speculated she might have gotten some rat poison or something, but according to a vet that is not likely... guess I'll have to ask her on Friday when she works again.

I promise to remember to keep an eye on your blog more often.

Jay: Oh, I'm excited alright. I think I'm going to celebrate this Friday by getting plastered!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

WHOO-HOO Party at r.e.h.'s place Friday night! I'm so UP FOR IT!! Since y'all are all nightie-owls? I can party [before my bedtime, set by early waking children] into the night with y'all!!

I'll bring a six pack of Shiner!

I'll tell DH "my turn on the computer Honey, cuz' I'm going partyin' tonight! [He won't get it though, ;)]

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Awww, and the cat. That is hard. I got my "dog" and my "DH" (before he got lucky enough to be my DH) on the same day.

She was a Basset and her name was "Dixie." Bein' a "papered" (expensive) dog and all her full name was "Whistlin' Dixie Dog." I loved to make her howl. It was really heart breaking when she passed at about 10 years old. I was with her as she took her last labored breaths.

Hubby burried her behind our old house on the farm so she'll always be with us.

Around here? Pets ARE family. Should see the silly spoiled mini-dauchtsons at my MIL's. Love the little farts, though.

Newt said...

awww poor kitty, I totally forgot what i was going to say - sigh.

Jen said...

Anyone who loves animals is alright by me. Rest in peace little kitty.

I hope the rest of your week is a bit more uneventful. You don't really need to go out with a bang.

. . . almost there! What will you do with all your new found freedom?

Anonymous said...

Hey I think that tipsy blogging is the best blogging, it gets the juices flowing! right? I dunno, but hey I am celebrating for some reason!

It is not going to be boring, I am being so rude, Green eyes you want a glass of wine? ya know I hope I am not color blind and your eyes are really green! LOL!

Okay Gone to read blogs again!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

OMG! single in the city: I think we are two peas in a pod. Except for the "I'm" not single part...and I live "outside" of the city/town/village, LOL.

Hmmm, you should have "Mr. Green eyes." But, you'll probably have to fight off Lakota Princess and a few others. [FYI? My DH has the same eyes, and bushy eye brows too.] Anyhow, r.e.h deserves a lady who will treat him right. Southern Gals rock, right? (City Gals/Ladies rock too, though).

I just want to keep full reading access to r.e.h. because I'm an addict. Thanks for sharin' the wine and stoppin' by my place. Wanna' refill? [I head to the box, LOL, okay...cheap bottle of chardonay.]

I have to be frugal. Vino is an expensive habit.

Guess our novelist is sawing logs to get ready for his next to last day at work.

That's my third "fix" for the day! Happy Thursday, y'all.

Sweet Dreams, r.e.h.

L.P. said...

~giggling~
sounds like the pre-party has already started. Anything in particular you would like me to wear darling? I think you've seen most of my party clothes... as well as my au natural look.
I'll bring the champagne... and shoes to drink it from.

Dianne said...

great song, never heard of them, she has an amazing voice

3 days can feel like a lifetime! but think how great Friday will be.

poor co-worker, poor kitty

I think I may be too old for Friday's party - or at least I feel that way today.

Sparkling Red said...

Too bad about the cat. I'll never forget the day a close neighbour/friend came banging at my door moments after her cat was killed by a car. She couldn't speak. She could barely breathe. She was just wailing out of control, and gasping. That's a heavy trip.

On a lighter note: Mmm... pistachio bun sounds good. :-)

Dana said...

I think this whole job issue is going to be a really good thing for you - far better than you have imagined.

Now, is the coffee shop close enough to home that you'll still be able to stop in when you're not working??

Karen said...

You should add "The Finaly Countdown". I really like that song. I have to buy it on itunes now.

Anonymous said...

You may not like the "dirty" looking woman at the coffee shop but you're missing out on something. She's someone who can give you information about the hot girl.

At the very least you can find out the name of the hot girl. You could find out what she does when she's not at the shop. You could also ask if she has a boyfriend. Drop a few innocent questions. People will usually tell you the most important things with very little prompting.

You can turn everything you learn about her to your advantage the next time you see her. At the very least you could find out when she's scheduled next so you can see her without having to "check" if she's there.

Pretty easy stuff... You're going to be there tomorrow morning. I hope the hot girl is there. If not have your questions ready! If you're not going to satisfy your own curiosity at least satisfy mine. Lights... Camera... Action!

Casdok said...

Not long now!!
Award over at mine for you! :)

L.P. said...

i found a zombie bunny for you. send me your email addy if you want it. ~morning kiss~
way to start the day for me...

Guilty Secret said...

What a mess! I am even more glad you are getting out of that place already!

Sad about the kitty :(

Mike said...

Speaking of dirty girl preparing food....I was once at a Wendy's and some girl with downs syndrome was in the back making salads.

Now, I don't begrudge anybody like that working... except these people DROOOL. And why would someone who will uncontrollably drool be put making food?

Gross.

Anonymous said...

What kind of numnut calls someone to tell them their cat died? Like he couldn't wait?

That is an interesting breakfast. I'd try it, I'll give you that!

Anonymous said...

Aw sad about the cat. I have to disagree with Butterfly Girl's comment, though. I don't have a cat, but I do have a dog. And if someone discovered his death before I could get home and figure it out myself, I would most definitely want them to call me immediately. I don't think I'd be able to stick around at work until the end of the day though, if that happened. I'd have to go home and take care of it right away.

Anyway . . . noting the time difference, you are probably getting close to finishing up your second-to-last day at work! One more to go! Hooray!

Em

R.E.H. said...

Farmer's Wife (x2): Y'all are welcome to the party!

I've never had a pet die on me. Did have a cat when I was about 13 and it ran away... that's what you get when you have an abusive alcoholic for a stepfather... not even the cat wanted to stay around.

Newt: At least the kitty seemed to die a peaceful death.

Jen: What will I do? I will enjoy LIFE for a change ;)

Single In The City: As much as I marvel in you comments about my eyes, I'm going to be honest with you... I've got weird "multi-colored" eyes. Depending on the light they can be green, blue or gray...

Farmer's Wife: Hehe... from reading your own comparison with Single In The City, it struck me that you should change your name to "Hitched in the Sticks"... hehe - I thought that was funny, anyway ;)

Reading privileges will always be open for everyone!

R.E.H. said...

Lakota Princess: Anything in particular you would like me to wear darling?

Just enough to tickle my imagination, sweets.

Dianne: You should check them out. Just stay clear of the latest album - it's ok, but it lacks the voice of Tarja.

You're never too old to party around here!

Sparkling Red: That's why I thought a relative, or God Forbid, one of her kids had had an accident or something, because she was bawling so bad. It's probably wrong, but in light of what I just said - I was relieved when I heard it was her cat.

Dana: I'm starting to feel it is a good thing happening to me indeed.

The coffee shop is not a likely place for me to visit often though.

Karen: It's a decent song, but I'm sorry to say that I've grown mighty tired of it. Europe is a Swedish band - but, I guess you knew that... That's why that thing killed the radio stations for the past 20 years over here...

R.E.H. said...

Unsigned: Trying to get information that way only leads to them telling the person all about it... as far as my experience goes.

I'll be getting my breakfast there tomorrow... let's hope she's working ;)

Casdok: One more day! I'll be right over to check that out... thanks!

Lakota Princess: Zombie bunny? Is it a Zombie PLAYBOY Bunny? LOL!

Guilty Secret: Yeah, I'm really happy to be rid of that place.

Mike: Yeah, I think many fast food joints have a deal or agreement of sorts that they take on handicapped people for work. That's what the McDonald's I used to work at in Fl. did anyway. We didn't put them on foor preparing duty though...

I wouldn't want that extra dressing on my salad!

R.E.H. said...

Butterfly Girl: A pistachio bun is not really breakfast stuff, but I like'em, so I buy'em ;)

They had to - either tell the mom or the kids... I think they made the right choice...

Emmeline: Yeah, and as I told Butterfly Girl. The kids were home with her mother (their grandmother), so the kids would have found out soon enough. It was better to call her at work, so she could instruct her mom not to take the kids back to the house and discover the dead cat.

Yup. Just home - only one more day to go!

Elle said...

Yay for only one more day of furniture store torture! I'm falling behind this month, so I better get with the commenting or I'll fall below the line.
Sorry about the former kitty. We do get so attached.

Tequila Mockingbird said...

awe, poor kitty! i like animals more than most people, and if i heard my kitty (i left carlton meowpants in fla with my aunt) died, id be seriously emotionally devastated.

R.E.H. said...

Elle: Yes, one more day. I can do it. I can do it!

Tequila Mockingbird: Yeah, I guess people really get emotionally attached to their pets. I only had that one cat when I was a pre-teen, and it ran away...

Jill said...

I really need to go listen to that song, I really like, usualy, the mix of rock and almost opera voice(Evanescence had me liking them because of that)

Jill said...

I like it so far! the man voice makes me think of the lead singer of Ramstein(but I understand it all!)

Anonymous said...

I missed your comment back mine are like that, but they are either grey or blue! sometimes both colors at the same time!

R.E.H. said...

Jill: Evanescence are pretty good... never been a fan of Rammstein though.

Single In The City: So we both have multicolored eyes ;)