February 19, 2008

WWC / PFC Reminder

Second day of my mini-vacation is a Tuesday... and we all know what that means, don't we? Oh, yes - that means it is time for the Weekly Words Challenge, presented by the uber-scary cupcake wrestling Tink of Pickled Beef!

This particular week she decided on the words FOUND and CURVE.

Now, when I initially thought about this when she announced the words last week I thought I'd have serious problems with the word FOUND - but just hours later it struck me what I needed to do for that word.

That's why I ended up with a little bit of a different approach to that one this week. I will use those pictures to tell a little story... a picture story if you will - NOT to be confused with the Picture Fiction Challenge.

Well, it's getting late over here - so for once I'm cutting right to the chase. Here are my pictures for this week:

Back in '91 when I was living in Florida, I had a second job working the night shift at a McDonald's restaurant. One night, just after 1AM, as I walked to my beat-up, good-for-nothing Pontiac Fiero, I FOUND something on the ground next to my car on the parking lot. It was a $100 bill. Ecstatic I bend down and pick it up off the ground, looking left and right hoping no one saw me...

**********

As I unfolded the neatly folded $100 bill, to put it into my wallet, I FOUND that it was not a real Benjamin Franklin I held in my hand. It was much too short - the mid-section of the bill was completely missing. My fingers could also feel that the texture was not that of money, but that of plain old paper...

**********

I turned the piece of paper I had thought was money over, and FOUND these encouraging words.

Now... I don't understand how this church thinks they are going to recruit members by deceit and by pissing the average Joe off so badly he feels like calling them up and tell them to go to a place far far away from Heaven. Still... the damn thing cracked me up - and I still carry this piece of paper in my wallet.

PS. I blurred the final four digits of their phone-number - just in case you guys thought of calling them up just to give them a piece of YOUR mind on my behalf ;)

**********

The headlights of my car sweep the CURVE of the street at night.

**********

Same street, same CURVE. Coming from the other direction, daytime.

**********

BONUS PICTURE:
I FOUND this view beautiful, and figured I'd share it.

**********

So that completes my contribution the the Weekly Words Challenge this week. I'll be back again with more picture for your viewing pleasure next week. Then we'll be showing off pictures representing the words WOOD and METAL. That's going to be interesting!

Tomorrow is the day you should post your Picture Fiction Challenge. Don't forget!

You have until the 22nd to post your entry, if you can't make it by tomorrow - but after that I'm not keeping up with the links to your contributions.

I'm so excited and eager to read what you all have come up with. I hope this thing will turn into a successful little monthly exploit into the creative minds of us bloggers.

Happy blogging, and good luck with your creative writing!

32 comments:

Knight said...

I'll be honest, that fake hundred would have ticked me off. It just seems a little f*d up. Love the picture story though.

Dana said...

You are amazingly creative - both in pictures and in words!

EEUUWW ... and you know I've got knots in my stomach (really) surrounding that PFC. You'd think it was my Master's Thesis or something.

Jahooni said...

Nice post. It seems as though the message on the back actually means something to you after all these years, why else would you save it?
Hymn....

Gin said...

Great shots!

I had one of those faux $100's too. It was a biz card of some sort. I don't know what ever happened to mine...maybe I dropped it!

Love your last shot, it's so be-U-tiful!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Great pics and great story to go with. I have my pics but yet to have time to post -- hopefully, we'll return from PTL and other mtgs so that I can post them prior to the 12:00 a.m. deadline!

I haven't even had time to see anyone else's either -- but, the wood and metal is gonna' be a great one!

R.E.H. said...

Knight: Oh, don't get me wrong - I was furious when I found out it wasn't an actual Benjamin.

Dana: Thank You. Don't worry about the PFC - it's all in good fun. Not like you're going to be graded on it.

Jahooni: Not the message, no. But, the experience! I was so mad when it happened, yet I couldn't help but laugh at the whole thing. I kept it because I thought no one would believe me, and it kind of stays with me ever since... always makes for a good story ;)

Ginni Dee: So this church aren't the only ones who came up with this irritating concept of advertisement!

I kind of liked that last shot myself. Thanks.

Farmer's Wife: I was over at your place earlier, and wondered why you hadn't posted the WWC. I'll keep checking back though.

Thanks.

Jay said...

Too bad you blurred that number. I would've called them! LOL

Great pics dude! Well done!


I have a confession to make. I haven't even started on that PFC. I know. I'm a loser. No excuses coach! I will join in next month though. I will. I will!

Anonymous said...

PFC sounds like fun. I don't think I can get it together that quickly though, but I would love to watch!

Great pics and story. That's a real bait and switch if I ever saw one. Beautiful sunset.

Jo said...

Love the last pic! That Benji is funny...twisted, but funny. What a curious way to encourage people to cuss down the Heavens.

I did my PFC writing on the first day b/c I knew I'd procrastinate...and I was right...so tired this week I can barely spell my own name. Can't wait to read yours :)

tt said...

Too bad it wasn't real huh!
It's really something that you've held on to that for so long. Should we dig a wee bit deeper to figure out why that is ??
naaahhhhhhhhhh!
And you're right...I bet there are some bloggers who would have called them. Me perhaps! lol

Jodi said...

I am up in the middle of the night. I can't get back to sleep after a disagreement with my boyfriend. Why do I always get into these long distance relationships?

Anyway, I love the pictures. You and Jay are both so talented.

J.

PS. Move to Indiana and keep me company! (smile)

Casdok said...

And i thought the second day of my mini-vacation meant going down the gyn again to chack out the talent!

R.E.H. said...

Jay: Figured you would - that's why I blurred it ;)

You still have until the 22nd to post it, if you wanna get into the game this month. Otherwise - you're welcome to play the next one.

Gawilli: Hope you decide to participate next month in the PFC.

Jo: I thought so too. I mean, why ask us to thank Jesus, when all one wants to do is cuss?

It'll be interesting to read your story. I procrastinated... still am - so I'll have to put a rush-job together (don't expect too much from me this month).

TT: Actually - I'm just the kind of guy who holds on to a lot of things for nostalgia. There are a few more things in my wallet that have been with me for 20 years or so ;)

Not to mention the crap I have stuffed away in various drawers and in the basement. Some day I should just clear it all out!

HoosierGirl5: Long distance relationships suck - I know all too well about that. Sorry you can't sleep.

Indiana? Hmm... what's in Indiana for me (apart from you, of course)?

R.E.H. said...

Casdok: Oh, I was at the gym yesterday too. Sexy bod wasn't there - but there's always a couple prospective one's at such a place.

PS. I hope you did spell gyn wrong - meaning gym... if not your comment scares me a little bit ;)

Guilty Secret said...

OMG that $100 things is terrible! As a marketer, I can tell you disappointment is not a motivating emotion! That is so cool you laughed at it and kept it all this time though :)

Anonymous said...

You are a better man than I am. Well, I'm a chick, but you know what I mean. I would have been SO PISSED if I found that fake $100 bill. It kind of pisses me off right now just looking at it.

Good for you for being the bigger person.

Leighann said...

That fake $100 would have pissed me off too. I probably would have set it on fire! :D

I finished my PFC yesterday. Talk me into posting it!

Lynnea said...

Hey, posted up my story for the PFC. Can't wait to read the others.

Tink said...

That's horrible! What a dirty trick. They say it takes a person exactly two seconds to mentally spend money they think they'll get, whether by winning or finding. So I'm sure you'd spent it a couple different ways by the time you actually picked it up. Bastards.

Btw, that last shot is BEAUUUUTIFUL.

Karen said...

That $100 bill story is hysterical - what jerks though.

Sparkling Red said...

When I was a kid, my best friend's dad glued a quarter to their porch so that he could laugh at people trying to pick it up. Even for 25 cents it was disappointing not to have that money!
That's some story. Have you ever been tempted to leave that fake bill for someone else to see their reaction?

R.E.H. said...

Guilty Secret: Oh, you're right about that. The only thing I was motivated to do was kick some serious butt ;)

Cardiogirl: Oh, believe me I was pissed. Guess I'm just so used to disappointment I knew how to laugh it off ;)

Leighann: With my luck, setting it on fire, I would've probably ended up burning up my car as well.

Seems I didn't need to talk you into posting the PFC - other's beat me to it... good thing, too!

Maggie: I've added your link, and read your story. Awesome story that one - loved it!

Tink: Oh, yes. I had already made plans for those $100. Working two jobs, and one of them being McDonald's didn't make me a rich guy. The fact I was working my ass off for a certain reason at the time didn't exactly help either.

Glad you liked the sunset pic.

R.E.H. said...

Karen: Exactly my view on the thing ;)

Sparkling Red: How long did you try to pry that thing loose? hehe.

Reminds me of that old candid camera piece where they put a $20 under the tire of a car in a parking lot. When people tried to pull the thing out, pieces of the car started to fall off ;)

The original candid camera rocks!

Tequila Mockingbird said...

what a bunch of self righteous bastards! HOW DARE YOU TEMPT ME WITH CASH!?!?!?! i wouldve called up the church to let them know that the bible bitched about tempting people, satan style, and now they have sinned.

R.E.H. said...

Tequila Mockingbird: "satan style" LOL! I'm sorry but that cracked me up!

But, those are pretty much the same words that went through my head as I turned that thing over and read those words imprinted there.

Leighann said...

By the way, how many comments am I up to this month?

I better friggin win this time!

Leighann said...

Is this cheating?

Fine, I'll stop.

R.E.H. said...

Leighann: I'm glad you posted it too. A good read.

Not exactly cheating... but excessive use of that method may result in disqualification ;)

Elle said...

Well... you know, you could have used just your fake $100 for both words... after all, this found object sure did throw you a curve.

Goofy Christians!

Loved the curve photos as well!

g-man said...

Excellent pictures. The bonus one is especially cool.

R.E.H. said...

Elle: It DID throw me a curve! Why didn't I think of that??? ;)

G-Man: Thanks. Yeah, I saw that just after I finished shooting the fake $100, and decided I needed to take a picture of that too.

Jill said...

A 20$ would have done the same, and wouldn't have piss you off that much!
Are they an affiliate of the Jehova's witness?