February 28, 2008

Bug Eye Tired

I don't know what it is... well, I do know - I don't sleep properly at night - but, I'm bug eye tired.

Crappy day at work today. Oh, how I wish today had been the last day! Now, I gotta work the weekend, as well as those long 11 hour shifts next week. Already I have agreed to work an extra half hour on Saturday, because poor scheduling meant there was only one left after closing to count the cash drawers and finish things up (aka work "closing"). Fine, I'll do it - it's half an hour that pays like a full hour, and hardly any work involved. I mean, who says it's hard work to sit on your butt counting some money and fiddling around with the computer?

I actually laughed a little bit today. Let me just tell you about these experiences at work today, which will give you an insight into how perfectly well things are organized at the place I work. And read irony into that statement.

The store manager is away for the remainder of the week, getting some information and education on some new things (they don't tell us what these secret things are, for some reason - though it is something she will need to pass on to us once she returns). Okay - that happens, right - nothing funny about that.

The thing is... our assistant store manager (actually the sales manager, they way it is structured at our store) whom I genuinely do NOT like, is doing the morning meeting as I arrive. Now, I gotta give the lady some credit here - this is a day off for her, and she had been in at work since 7AM this morning, and she stayed til 7:30PM when I went home after closing.

What is funny here is that she looked at me during the morning meeting and asked me:

"R.E.H. what is up with your situation here?"

"What do you mean?", I ask.

"Well, I hear today might be your last day...". Notice the might be?

"No, I don't think so. According to the Union Rep the District Manager wanted me to stay on for another week. I wasn't going to accept the 19th as the date of my lay off, so it's been pushed forward to the 25th, and because of that I need to work another week. But, I don't know for sure - the Union Rep said it had something to do with the scheduling."

"Ok. Did the store manager talk to you at all about this yesterday?"

"No she did not. Only person I've talked to about this is the Union Rep."

"So, when do you do your last day?"

"I don't know."

So, apparently - our store manager has not filled in for me on the schedule. That means they will be understaffed every day I was supposed to have worked, right? That's minus one body on the premises.

Add to this the following. Next week - our store manager goes on vacation - for three weeks if I understood the whole thing right. She has not scheduled anyone to work her hours at the store. That's minus two bodies on the premises.

Now, if you lose two workers out of five, that leaves you with only three.

Add to that the following. One of the guys who was supposed to work this weekend had told our store manager that he could not take those hours, in which he was scheduled to work. This guy works two jobs, and is only an extra at the store I work at (for one more week). His other job is his priority, of course. She had scheduled him without checking his availability, so he told her he cannot work those two days.

She has not replaced him on the schedule.

If I had in fact not worked this weekend, as was planned, out of the three people scheduled to work on Sunday - a day on which we never are more than three people working - there would be NONE able to work, and neither would've been replaced. That would have made it interesting.

So, now that I am back in the frame, and the Sales Manager working the weekend there are two of us. And here is the killer.

Because we do not have anyone left to call in for work, it became known to me that a girl who quit to move to Norway during the fall is now back in the picture. So, they lay me off, and bring back other people as extra workers to make up for the hours they've lost. That way they don't have to pay these extra workers any health benefits and what not.

So, I lose my job, and other people will work my hours, while the company can claim that they have less people on the payroll.

The other funny thing is that when our store manager goes on vacation, nothing about my situation has been resolved. She has left no information about what needs to be done, and there are a ton of things that needs be done as summer approaches and lots of new stuff is coming in. We need to assemble all the patio furniture, make space to display those, learn all the technical details so that we can answer the most ridiculous questions customers tend to ask.

Further chuckles escaped me as I had to start off the day by figuring out, all by myself, and then teaching the others at work how to custom order roller blinds.

This is a new thing we sell at the store as of this Monday. Not one person has been given the required information on how to do this, should a customer want to buy it. This lady had been in yesterday, when I had a day off, but they had not been able to service her. They said they would look it up, and if she comes back today we will know how this new thing works.

So... I dig through the archives of the computer, and indeed I find a step-by-step tutorial how to place the order. So I help the customer, and then I have to show to the others how to do it.

I look forward to the day when they have to figure things like this out for themselves.

It has always been like that. We are not given the necessary information when needed. We've known we were going to start selling custom made roller blinds for the past two months - still we have not been informed how that works.

My store manager knew, on Tuesday, that it was the last day she would ever work with me. She didn't even have the common courtesy to find me and say goodbye, wish me luck, or whatever before she went home that day. She simply vacated the premises, without saying a word to a single person.

I remember on Tuesday, as one of the registers malfunctioned, I walked into the office to let her know that she would have to get in touch with support next day and fix the register. I couldn't find her. I asked the others where she was and they said they didn't know... half an hour later we all figure she must've gone home.

I called support first thing this morning and fixed the cash register. It works just fine now. Two days later...

Some people want home delivery on stuff they buy. Maybe because they don't have access to a car big enough to transport it all, or they are too old to carry heavy boxes themselves and don't have anyone who can help them out. Anyway - when a date is booked for delivery, it is of course important that we deliver on that day. People might even have taken time off work to be there to receive the furniture.

On Tuesday, I had one of these, and it was important they have it delivered before 4PM on Thursday, which is today, right. That requires that we book the delivery with the delivery service the day before it is due.

First thing, this morning, I find that paper still in the slot awaiting confirmation. I ask if it has been booked - and of course it hasn't.

I called up the delivery guys and asked them if they could please squeeze in this delivery today, as we had missed booking it yesterday.

The customers got their new mattresses today - before 4PM.

I'm not saying that I'm better than anyone at my job or anything. I make my fair share of mistakes too... but is that not all a result of being understaffed?

Yeah, I'm boring you all with this work crap blogging. Soon enough - that'll all be over and done with.

Now, who wants a beer?

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want one as long as it Bud Light! They are not going to be able to make it without you! You are an asset to the company!

Sit back and just laugh at them after you leave on your last day!!!

Single

Jay said...

I used to work at a place like that. They would send the managers for training and then the managers were supposed to then teach us supervisors all the new stuff. The we would teach the leads or anyone "authorized" to know this stuff.

Of course the managers wouldn't teach us any of the new stuff. They were so insecure in their jobs that they wanted to keep things secret from the supervisors.

Which always meant that at some point I (and other supervisors) would get called into the big boss's office and he would bitch to us about not passing this knowledge on to people. Then we'd be like "Nobody ever taught us this shit!" Happened Every. Single. Time.

Jen said...

Jay. . . are you following me around the blogosphere?

Ha!

Um. r.e.h.. . . Are you absolutely positive that AFTER the 3 weeks off your store manager is coming back to work? I mean, if I were her, I wouldn't. That's one hell of a shite ball to leave behind before you hightail it to a vacation.

Print out this blog, send in to your union rep. It may just make you feel better.

fiwa said...

Oh yes - a guinness please!

Don't you wonder sometimes, how idiots like that get to be in charge?

Dianne said...

2 beers please and a shot of whiskey!

As I mentioned in the previous post I had to go to the black hole store today. I've been on med leave for a bit so I had to fill in some papers and make an appointment to make an appointment to see the store manager. Yes - redundancy is their motto.

This post made me feel so much better - it's human nature (well my nature) to think you're the only one who sees how fucked up everything is.

You make me feel so validated LOL

Beers are on me - for the house!

Knight said...

Toss one my way! The good news is, you will be a safe distance away when the company collapses.

Sparkling Red said...

I think your manager should be the one getting laid off. Apparently she doesn't realize that "manage" is a verb, not an adjective. I quit so many jobs because I was tired of working for raging psychos or apathetic lumps that didn't want to do anything but sit in their offices and hide. Grrr!

R.E.H. said...

Single In The City: I hope Heineken will do... it's all I've got!

Yeah, I am an asset to them, but I don't think they realize just how much crap like this I do every single day. They will notice it once I'm no longer there to do it though ;)

Jay: That's the part that I don't get. They are sent on training for a couple of days, then they return and say "oh, we learned so much", and then we never hear about it again. Until we are face to face with a customer and we realize we need that knowledge to be able to serve the customer... now one has to look for the manager and ask all the questions, and then they have forgotten all about it themselves... so stupid!

Jen: Oh, she'll be back alright. And, she won't think she did anything wrong leaving all that crap undone.

I might say a thing or two to my Union Rep, but I'm actually worried he might start fighting for me to keep my job instead - which I sure as hell don't want ;)

Fiwa: Oh, I do wonder. And, this is not the worst store manager we've had since I began working there. The Class A one lasted for only three months, before he got himself on the DL on account of "mental exhaustion", so they couldn't fire him.

Dianne: Now that sounds really messed up... making an appointment to make an appointment?

Yeah. Well, everyone at my job can see how messed up it is... because it is unavoidable. I have never in my life worked at a more disorganized place.

R.E.H. said...

Knight: Catch!

There... yes, I will be a safe distance away - but not far so far away that I can't sit there and watch as it falls apart. I will enjoy that ;)

Jay Cam: I'm sure she realized... just don't think that A) she's good at "goodbye's" and B) she gives much of a damn.

Sparkling Red: There are quite a few people looking to have her removed from her position. Those waiting in the wings to take over are no better however... The place is doomed!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

So, while there was "no comments" I was back and forth about 15 times with the propane guy and two sick kids. Damn! Any beer left?

Hey, did you ever pick up some Shiner? [I leave room to get a cold one, back now] You said you were gonna' try these. Well, if you are ever in Texas, I keep a full stock on hand.

The thing about work is? "You have a good work ethic. So many others act like "the employer is so lucky they showed up to half ass work and take home a full-ass paycheck." I'm like that too.

Look at me now? I get work my assets off (except for bloggie breaks) and I get paid in hugs, kisses and illness. Phewp. {sip....mmmm, cold Shiner...ah, I love Fridays...CRAP. Not Friday yet}

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Okay, so funny one for you. If you hadn't caught up with my latest post, I ended up with "two" sick kids this afternoon.

So, video is over. Kids come running to me to whine about it. I ask son, "Do you want me to start it over?" NO! He yells. "Do you want me to put a new one in?" NO! He yells again.

My daughter all nice and complaint, "How about Lion King (knowing it's brother's favorite video)?" NO! So she asks, "You wanna' see BUTT CRACK!?" And, she shows him her butt crack! LOL!! He asked for it!!! [Mind you she's under the age of five]. LOL!

Allison Horner said...

Yes, let's all have a beer! Cheers!

Man, you work stuffs sounds all kind of crazy.

It's probably good in the long wrong that you won't be working there much longer. sheesh!

Anonymous said...

I'll pass on the beer but thanks for the offer. For a person in your position I'd say you're working way too hard! The less effort you put in this week the easier it will be to put this whole mess behind you.

It's nice to think that a place will fall apart without you. Most businesses tend to limp along for decades leaking oil and belching smoke all the way. Just don't hinge even an ounce of self esteem on the idea of watching it go under. These places tend to circle the bowl for years before the flush is complete.

Besides once you're gone the place will be in your past. A place where it should remain. Feel good! You're almost there! A few more days! You can do it!

Freakazojd said...

Holy crap, I can't believe it...my head is spinning! I'm so glad I'm self-employed. My boss ROCKS. Haha! :)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Gosh, y'all are all so fun to hang out with! It's only 7:45pm here and I'm up with the "late owls!"

I'm wondering though...r.e.h.? You hit the hay for work?

Anyhow, we are all here and readin' ya'!

L.P. said...

~tackling you and wrapping legs around your waist~
Beer. Now.


Please?

Karen said...

That eye photo freaked me out. I had to put my had over the screen. LOL. I hope they realize they are losing someone really, really valuable.

Anonymous said...

Should have told him he'd know that you were gone when you weren't around anymore.

Casdok said...

Make mine a white wine thanks!
It will soon be over!

Guilty Secret said...

He he, if one of my brothers goes to the fridge and another one wants a beer, they will just say, "beer me!"

I nearly just wrote "yeah, beer me, REH" in your comment box, but I thought I'd better explain first!

Hope the work crap sorts itself out... well I'm sure it'll all be over soon enough!

Dana said...

Do they cell any of that good, thick, dark German beer in Sweden??

A few of those are guaranteed to help you out with the sleep issue!

tt said...

boy! Are they going to miss you!!!
Isn't it agrivating when co-workers don't do their job and you're left to pick up the slack!? that happens to Lovee all the time; Frustrating! Sad thing is they probably won't even figure out WHY things are so rough after you leave. Nincompoops.
I hope your last day is a good one though. Now what? Have you figured it out and I missed it?
I know you'll be fine...cuz that's the way you roll I think.
Cheers!

R.E.H. said...

Farmer's Wife: No I haven't been able to locate any Shiner yet. Guess they don't export that one overseas, huh?

I think I have a decent enough work ethic, but maybe I made myself out to be a little better than I really am in this post. I mean, I did those things and all - but someone's gonna end up having to do them. I'm sure there would be a thousand other things I could've done as well, that will eventually blow up in someone's face. Things just never get properly done over there...

And that story of your kids... HA! Only kids can get away with a stunt like that... but that is yet another thing I would like to do to my boss... hehe.

Alli: So nice to see you here... been a while! ;)

Yeah - work is crazy, and I won't be missing it one bit. Hopefully I'll find a financial solution soon enough, and everything will be just fine.

Unsigned: I don't think I work too hard... doing these things is so much less work than the other things I would have to do... such as assembling furniture, re-organize the warehouse and stuff...

I think they are going to fall apart with or without me. The sales have dropped more than 30% since rivals IKEA opened up in October last year. It will continue to drop, unless the summer sales actually get the place back on it's feet. This summer will be crucial for the survival of this store.

Freakazojd: Self employment. Yes, I've been considering that... every man's best boss is one self, right?

Farmer's Wife: I offer some beer, and we got ourselves a regular party goin' on here ;)

Yeah, I hit the hay alright... it was 2:45AM over here as you posted that comment.

R.E.H. said...

Lakota Princess: After what you just did to me, I've got other things than beer on my mind...

Karen: I've got freaky eyes, huh? ;)

Well, I don't know if they will realize that... and frankly - I don't care.

Preposterous Ponderings: No need to tell them that... they will know once I'm not there.

Casdok: Sorry, don't have any white wine - but I'll keep you in mind and have one ready for next time, ok?

Yes, thankfully, it will be over soon.

Guilty Secret: Hehe... for some reason that got me thinking of "Beer me up, Scotty" *... I think I'll have to start using that one ;)

* Of Star Trek fame

R.E.H. said...

Dana: Possibly. I don't know. I'm not much into dark beer myself... Only dark beer which name I can come up with off the top of my head would be "Guinness".

TT: It is aggravating having to fix what other's have failed to do properly.

I don't yet know what I am going to do, really. I'm thinking I'll just get some temporary job and try to save up some money. It is still quite likely that I swim back across the pond for a while (or for good, who knows?).

I've got a month and a half after I quit that I still have an income, so I might try to use that time to write a movie script or two...

Tink said...

*Hisses* Omg REH, what are you doing? Don't help those asshats!

Seriously man, even if I NEEDED the money, I'd be leaving on my designated day with my parting words being, "Screw you. Have a nice day!"

Tequila Mockingbird said...

yes, i do indeed want a beer (lately i've been drinking hazed and infused.. you should try it).

all that work stuff sucks. today i forgot my ipod, so i am being punnished by having to listen to my coworkers banalities.

R.E.H. said...

Tink: I think you should reverse the final statement. "Have a nice day. Screw you!".

Somehow, that would be more powerful, don't you think?

Tequila Mockingbird: Is "Hazed & Infused" a brand of beer? ;)

I wish I could bring an iPod to work... not having to listen to all those stupid customers would be nice for a change... my boss - well, I don't listen anyway ;)

Glitterstim said...

No, this isn't boring! I'm continually amazed at the bad decisions made by those In Power, yet it all seems to make sense to them. I'm watching similar things happen with my old office.

I'm sorry they've put you through such crap, though!

:o) BJ

g-man said...

The more you say about this place the happier I am that you are not going to be working the any more. :)

I'll take a Guinness too!

Tequila Mockingbird said...

yes it is you should try it... come over here and i'll buy you one. you'll forget all about your work problems.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you've been there as long as you have!! I could never force myself to work that long in such shitty conditions!! So glad you're getting outta there...

Em

R.E.H. said...

Blogget Jones: It's amazing how many places seem to have crappy organization, and yet somehow they manage to survive.

G-Man: The more I think about it, the happier I am that I won't be around much longer.

Tequila Mockingbird: Wow... never did try that one. Now there's another brewski I need to add to the "must try" list.

Emmeline: I can't believe that either - but those four years have really just blown by me - I barely noticed them pass me by...

Jo said...

You have nice eyes...well, I'm assuming the other one matches...and that they aren't usually googly? LOL

You'll take your work ethic with you, and they'll miss it. It's all good.

R.E.H. said...

Jo: Thanks for the compliment. They do match, and they're only "googly" like that when I'm bug eye tired ;)

Jill said...

We all have those days when we feel like everyone but us is useless or not qualified enough for the job!
They gonna realise what big mistake they've done by letting you go too late!

jimmy jackson said...

I look forward to the day when they have to figure things like this out for themselves.We have more information on roller blinds and i think it will help you...