February 1, 2008

PFC #1

I'm so excited about this new challenge, and I'm also extremely happy to have learned that so many are willing to play this little "game" with me. So, I'm starting off the month of February by setting up the very first Picture Fiction Challenge.

If you need a more in-depth explanation of what this is, go to my initial post about this subject, where I take you through a step by step process of what needs to be done with the pictures you will find below.

The poll I ran, suggested that this thing be done on a monthly basis - and I would agree that is a good place to start. If people want to, though, in the future we might go for a bi-weekly challenge.

Also. Remember that you can click on the picture and it will take you to the Flickr website it was found on. From there you can look at higher resolution versions of the pics to pick up all the little details that are hard to see on my small version of them.

I have also added the Picture Fiction Challenge logo pic to the sidebar. From there you will be able to find the current challenge, and (in the future) the list of all participants.

Let me try to set the rules for this challenge as clear and easy as possible:

THE PICTURES:
Each picture below represents a certain aspect of the story. Analyze each picture and try to interpret what you see into the specific category the picture represents.

Character(s): The main character(s) of your story. This is the person(s) whose perspective the story is told through. You can have any number of additional characters, but the one(s) on this picture are who we will relate to.

Objective: This is the overall objective of the story. That which our main character is trying to achieve - what the MC is trying to reach. This is the objective of the story.

Setting: The place where the story unfolds.

Item: An item of significant* importance to the story.

Random: This could be a picture of anything at all, and what you see on that picture must have a significant* importance in the story you write.

*significant. That means that these things do not simply appear in a fleeting moment in the story. They hold an importance to the events that unfold, and are as such necessary to the outcome and progression of the story.

THE STORY:

All of the picture representations must be present in the final story.

The story you write can be as long or short as you wish.

You can write the story in either first or third person perspective.

The story must be a fictional story.

DEADLINE & POSTING:

The deadline to post the story on your blog will be between 20th - 22nd of February. Not sooner - not later! (Ideally, everyone posts on the 20th, but I'm giving you a couple extra days because there are many reasons one may not be able to post on a specific day)

Let me know in a comment when you have posted your contribution, so I can add a link to your blog (and story) in a list of all participants on my sidebar.

Read the other people's stories (only after you've posted your own) and comment on their writing.


Ok! Lets have a look at the pictures we'll all be working from on this very first PFC:

**********





**********

There you go. Good luck! And, I can't wait to see what you'll all come up with for this one.

Remember. February 20th - February 22nd is when you need to post your stories. Not sooner - not later!

Happy writing!

BTW. Any questions, if something is unclear - let me know so I can clarify.

26 comments:

Jo said...

Nice pics! It's funny how 3 beachy photos ended up on there. I'm grateful we have so much time, now I can knock it out when the mood strikes. It'll be fun to see what everyone comes up with!

Jay said...

"You can write the story in either first or third person perspective."

How bout both? I like to go back and forth between the two. I also like to go back and forth between past present tense. Is that okay?

Oh and I like to use incorrect punctuation sometimes too. Like maybe throw in a few commas in the wrong place, and maybe leave a few out where they should be.

And don't forget my generally bad grammar. And my inability to spell.

Other than that I'm ready to go! ;-)

flutter said...

I am so excited about this!

Anonymous said...

My response to Jay ~ Don't expect me to read if that's the case! I can't stomach writing that is that terrible! :)

And now, my comment on the post - interesting that you have several sand/beach-themed pictures. Should make tying them together easy peasy! The ideas are churning in my head already, and I'm afraid they aren't original. I would hate to post like a carbon copy of someone else's story just because I went with the first things that came to my mind. But, as this is the first try, I'm going to approach it that way anyway and see what happens. Glad for the late deadline. Will give me a chance to put it together amidst my continuing writings of my other posts.

Em

Sparkling Red said...

Intriguing!

Good idea to post the challenge on a Friday. I may actually have time to devote to this on the weekend.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Uggh, I'm inimidated already. So unlike me...and, after impatiently awaiting this project.

I'll let my mind ponder over the pics in the back of my head and wait for a good [wine induced] creative flow.

Something will come to me, it always does [well, almost always. There have been those moments when I've had to hastily scrap a bunch of crapie thoughts together for the sake of completing the project]. But that won't happen here.

I am fluttering with excitement. Thanks for the assignment.

R.E.H. said...

Jo: Yeah, I thought it would be a good idea to give people ample time to write this thing so that they can do it when the inspiration is there and when time permits.

Jay: Yeah, not sure why I felt the need to add that "rule" ;)

But - do try to stick to that. It gets very confusing if you switch between first and third person ;)

Spelling, grammar and all that - well, this is not school! ;)

Flutter: Glad to hear it - so am I ;)

Emmeline: Yeah, I was surprised at the "beach theme" myself, but when looking at the Setting picture - I don't feel that house belongs on the beach, so it all gets a bit confusing...

...don't worry about writing a similar story to anyone else. I've done these kinds of things before and it never ceases to amaze me how differently people think.

Sparkling Red: Yeah, I thought it would be a good day to post it. Or the 1st of each month might be the way to go... I haven't decided how to do it in the future yet ;)

Farmer's Wife: Yeah, I'm gonna let the pictures soak in for a few days before I attempt writing anything too.

Thanks for participating!

Karen said...

ok...I am glad you gave us plenty of time to work on it. I am super excited about this.

Samantha_K said...

I'm going to try this. May be limited in my posting in the coming weeks, but I'll give it a shot babe!

Just for you ;)

R.E.H. said...

Karen: Didn't want anyone to miss out because there wouldn't be enough time to do it. I'm super excited too!

Samantha K: I'll be looking forward to reading what you come up with.

How are things going with the job and all? You can't be without a computer to blog from... that would seriously suck!

Jay said...

Em .. I was kidding ... LOL

Just a little story writing humor there. ;-)

Dianne said...

I'm exited about this as well! And also glad for the time.

funny - although I obviously noticed the beach/sand theme the very first storyline that ran through my head had little to do with either.

this is going to be fun!

Jay said...

the woman was walking on the beach looking for inspiration when she spotted a leaf. not wanting to disturb it, she hopped over it and walked home. in her apartment, she stared at the ceiling as she tried to paint.

nothing came to her, so she drew a picture of a simple leaf in its unditurbed pose.
THE END

lol lame story but whatever!

L.P. said...

oooh Jay broke the rules~ I likey him.
okay, i might not be able to resist this. I take it sex and comedy are okay? Hey, you're the one that put a picture of a giant bone up... naturally my mind wandered in a symbolic direction. :P

Dana said...

I'm really looking forward to this challenge and plan to use it as an opportunity to see beyond what I first see. How's that for deep??

R.E.H. said...

Jay: OOOhhh! You was jokin'? I dinnt ree-lize ;)

Dianne: Glad you're excited. Yeah, I don't really think my story will have anything to do with the beach - but, then there's the random picture... well, I'm not sure. I do have a pretty clear image of my "setting" though.

Jay Cam: Good effort there... but the girl is the OBJECTIVE here... not the Main Character (whom you left out completely) ;)

Lakota Princess: Sex and comedy are ok - in fact, encouraged. Blood and Gore - bring it on!

But, where do you see a giant bone(r)? Oh... I see - symbolic (and a one-sided imagination) ;)

Dana: I like how you plan to go deep on this one ;) Yes, it will be lots of fun.

Jodi said...

Hey there....
Thanks for popping by my blog.

I have the pics and the rules saved to a draft post...now to start writing. I hope I can work on it a little at a time, so by the 20th it will be done.

J.

PS. Don't pay any attention to Jay...he just likes to mess with people! (wink to Jay)

R.E.H. said...

HoosierGirl5: Thank you for playing!

And, about Jay - yeah, I know. It's fun to mess with him a little for a change, too ;)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Here I was wanting [needing] a month, and yet, I finished mine already. But, it's really rather dark.

Something I would NEVER normally come up with. I can't even believe my brain thank it. I'm a glass half full kind of girl...never half empty. I'm an optimist.

But in handling some horrid news about someone I know [which, has nothing to do with my story], and in a wine induced [escape] creative flow it just came out this way.

So, is dark and tragic allowed? If not, I can try again maybe in a week or two when I've shaken this feeling.

R.E.H. said...

Farmer's Wife: Wow! You finished yours already? I didn't even start mine ;)

Of course, dark and tragic is allowed. Any genre, any mood is allowed - as long as the story relates to the pictures.

Can't wait to read yours. Although, refrain from posting it before the 20th, as I don't want to read any stories before I have written and published my own. I don't want to be influenced ;)

Leighann said...

Going deep with Dana totally threw off my train of thought....

oh yeah.... I have a story in my head. Does that count at all? ;)

R.E.H. said...

Leighann: As soon as you put that thought out of your head and onto the screen in the form of a blog, and post it on the 20th... it counts.

And, how could my mind not go that way when Dana wrote that? I guess this stupid cold I'm coming down with has messed with my brain.

Leighann said...

If it's the same cold that's been going around my house, I feel for you! We're going on our second week of dealing with it, and it's not fun!

Take care of yourself!

R.E.H. said...

Leighann: Well, I hope it'll just be one of those two-day versions. Would be typical as well, so it was just enough to ruin the two days I had off from work.

Jo said...

My PFC is up! It was fun, REH, thanks for the prompt...I haven't written a short story in a few years. Looking forward to yours & others...

Dana said...

My PFC is up too!