February 18, 2008

Mini-Vacation: Day 1

As I woke up on the first day of my "mini-vacation" from work, I thought I was going to enjoy this week to the fullest...

Well, to be honest, the first day didn't start off all that good. I'm not saying anything disastrous happened or anything - it's not like it's going to make all that much of a difference - nor is it that I was surprised by any of the two things that happened first thing in the morning. I knew they were coming... though I kind of wished they didn't have to present themselves so clearly right off the bat during those days off that I was looking forward to.

That's a lot of words to get to the point, isn't it? Wanna get to the point? Shall we? Allrighty, then - here goes:

My cellphone called out to let me know I had a new text. I was not yet out of bed, enjoying a day of sleeping late. I reached my hand out and took the cell off of the nightstand and pressed the middle button, which would allow me to read what was sent to me... I almost knew what it was before I saw the words:

'NOW I'M ON MY WAY. ON THE BUS RIGHT NOW. 24 HRS OF BOREDOM AHEAD OF ME. I HOPE I SURVIVE THE FLIGHT. IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME!!! TAKE CARE WHILE I'M GONE AND KEEP WORKING OUT!'

So. That's it. She's gone. Out of my life for the next four months, at least. Maybe I'll never see her again... one can never know for sure. For so long... I really thought she was The One. I would still want her to be that. I feel so lonely already now that she's gone, but I need to move on with my life and start looking at other girls.

Bye bye, sweet one. I do hope you have a wonderful time over there. And, I know you don't want me to be longing for you, so I'm gonna have to let you go. I hope you don't forget about me - I know I will never forget about you.

So... I lay in bed for another fifteen minutes. Sent a reply - wishing her all the best, and that I would send positive vibes her way, and that the flight was going to be smooth. She is terrified of flying - I wish I were there to hold her hand and comfort her...

After a while I got out of bed. I made my standard pot of coffee, and just as I sat down in front of the computer with a freshly brewed, hot cup of java the phone rang.

"Hello?", I answer the phone. Caller ID was unknown to me.

"Hi. Is this R.E.H.?"

"Yes, that would be me."

"This is Morgan. I am a union representative, and I thought I'd call you up and have a chat. I understand you know about the situation at your work."

Oh, that's just great. First day of vacation, and now the fucking Union wants to let me know I'm going to be fired. I'm not sure I made this clear to you people who don't know how things work over here. The Union are involved in EVERYTHING that companies do. Businesses can hire people to their hearts consent, but when it comes to salaries, insurance, work environment, work hours - and of course the firing of staff. Then the Union steps in and have their say... they are supposed to protect the employee - I feel very protected during this phonecall.

"Yes, I do."

"So you have received the notification that they are cutting down on staff and that, as it works, you are the last employee hired with a full-time job - which sadly means that according to rules you are the one who will be let go."

"Yes, I understand how it works."

"Do you have any questions you would like me to answer. Regarding your future."

"Not really. Are there any benefits available to me? I didn't do anything wrong, and from what I hear when a company lays off people like this, there is some form of financial security for a month or so?"

"The company you work for do not offer anything like that. However, if you need to go to a 'job search' group, to get started looking for a job - they are willing to pay the $3.000 such a class would cost. Are you interested in signing up for that?"

Another thing that irritates the hell out of me in this country is what this guy just suggested. For some reason, they believe that people are so utterly incompetent and stupid that they don't know how to apply for a job. There are classes that teach this. When you're unemployed, the unemployment office has a habit of forcing these classes on you - I've attended a few of them back in the days when I was unemployed... many years ago. They are completely worthless.

"No, I don't think I need that. I could use the $3.000 to keep my own finances in check until I do find a job, however."

The idiot had the nerve to laugh about that, as if I'd been joking. I was dead serious - give me the god damn money! It's not like I deserve to be fired... I haven't done nothing wrong. Now if the Union are supposed to have the employee's back... why the hell am I being offered junk in return for the wrong doings my job are doing unto me?

And, I pay these shitheads about 80 bucks a month - so they will keep me safe at my job.

Well, if I didn't - there would be no unemployment benefits if I can't find a job, so one better pay that money just in case something like what just happened does happen.

Oh, well...

The rest of the day has been better. I went to the gym again. Worked on legs and I also atempted to find that sixpack behind the flab on my belly. Tried a couple of new machines on both muscle groups.

I have always used this particular machine for my stomach muscles. There was this other one that I didn't quite know how to use, and I didn't think it would be any good anyway. Well, I took the time to study it and figure out how to operate the damn thing... BOY! was I wrong. That thing locked on my muscles and made me squeal like a baby trying to do the sit-ups. I'm going to be hurting badly tomorrow... I'll be using that one from now on.

Oh, and just to let you know I am not completely hung up on The One... I saw this chick at gym today - she was so freakin' hot I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She had dark hair, a pretty face and a body so perfect it should be on display in a class-room where they teach the human anatomy... the female human anatomy. I hope I will see her there every time I go - she must be new. If I do - I promise, I'll work up the nerve to ask her out...

After the gym session, I spent a good 15 minutes in the sauna. I love the sauna.

50 comments:

Jen said...

Those "classes" are mandatory for US citizens as well, if (and only if) they are applying for "unemployment benefits." If what happened to us, what happened to you, we could potentially get unemployment benefits for 6-months. It's not a lot of money, but it's money. However, you have to take those stoopid classes - you know, follow all their rules - in order to receive the payments.

Obviously, a few years back, I was let go due to the company being relocated. I refused to move. But I was able to get unemployment benefits in the wake of their leaving. It was hard, but I know how that money helps.

good to know you haven't dried up. Or in the very least your eyeballs are working in locating other gals.

Good for you. Hope your week gets better.

Liv said...

ugh. you know, i sense that work will work itself out. it always seems like matters of the heart are another thing altogether.

hang in there.

Anonymous said...

you have left "the one" behind already? LOL!!!! Things will work out for you, I have faith in ya!! I love the sauna also!
Keep Working out!

Single!

Jill said...

Do you want a massage to take all that pain out those muscles?(It sucks while driving when doing those torso, especialy abs, workout)
And you mouth has potential to be put in a great smile, just pratice!
(And stop dreaming, that is not the weather right now at your place!)

L.P. said...

REH-babes... let me know if you need me to take your mind off that hussy who left the country. ~smooches~

Knight said...

I'm so distracted by that hot picture I can't remember what the post was about.

Anonymous said...

Yay I hope you see her again! Ask her out!!

Em

MrRyanO said...

I hope your mini vacation gets a little better.

I've never gotten along with any of the unions that I have been a part of...they sounds like a good idea, but it's just never worked out for me.

Jay said...

man lost you love AND your job...
hard times, hard times!

well if you head down to the beach you can solve one, if not both of those problems!
; D

R.E.H. said...

Jen: Really? I never heard of those classes "back home". Last time, when I lived in Florida, I went to the unemployment office, checked the listings of available jobs... went back out and got me a job in less than 30 minutes. But, the office never mentioned anything about those classes. I thought this was a Swedish thing... oh, well. It's stupid anyway!

Liv: Thanks. Yeah, I do hope that the job situation works out ok. Right now I really need the income ;)

Besides... it's hard to win the heart of a woman when you're unemployed and don't have any money!

Single In The City: Nah, I haven't really left her behind... she left ME behind! Anyway - she'll be out of my life for the next four months, and I don't intend to live in celibacy that long.

Jill: A massage would be great. I can feel the pain already ;)

And, I have been practicing smiling - just doesn't last long before I scare myself so badly looking in that mirror I have to stop!

Lakota Princess: She's no hussy... but you're welcome to take my mind elsewhere anytime ;)

R.E.H. said...

Knight: Yeah, those are some hot chicks in the background there ;)

Emmeline: I will give that a shot if I see her again... but, as usual, she might be a little too young for me - no more than 25 at the most ;)

RockDog: Yeah, I've been meaning to break with the Union for a long time. They almost doubled the cost of "membership" last year, and I thought I'd be better off saving the money than giving it to them.

As it turns out... I was right too!

Jay Cam: These hard times will toughen me up, won't they?

And, there's no beach around here - too freakin' cold!

Jill said...

That could be a great candid video, you getting scare of yourself smiling!

TK Kerouac said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job, and girlfriend...but sounds like you have a good handle on how to deal with it!
Loss sucks!

tt said...

Ah-Ha!!! wefinally get to see a photo of you!! You Handsome guy you!! Hubba-hubba!!!
I was real impressed at how casual you described 'the one' leaving. It sounds as though you really have accepted her being gone and that it isn't the end of 'your' life either. Yay for you!! You're going to be fine...I can feel it!
Keep on keeping on dude. ;)

Dana said...

Sometimes it's just easier to find a hot chick and a new job, don't you think?? *wink*

Jay said...

When I got laid off I got this package in the mail from the state of Texas (this is when I lived in San Antonio, before I moved) and it was full of all kinds of clases that I could take and training and shit.

So I went down there to talk to those people and they were like "Oh I see you already have a college degree. I'm sorry you don't qualify for any of these programs."

I was like "Yeah, well I'm just as f'ing unemployed as everybody else jerk!" LOL

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you.

See if you can get pics of these hotties at the gym. Well, I guess that would be rude to post them here, wouldn't it? haha

Dianne said...

enjoy the sauna and the hotties - and all the other crap will work itself out.

Jo said...

I love that you're already zooming in a new hottie! I think you handled things beautifully with The One.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I'm too tired and trying to "wait out" the snore factor of DH to read the other posts.

But, I am very proud of you (like you need my pride and approval) for handling her, The One leaving. [She P'd me off again, a txt msg? Really?!? -- look at me, all over protective again...can't help myself, Mother Bear].

She might come back and be lucky enough to find you still there...then again, you are a worthily wanted type of guy...and, she might find her moment too late.

Should things go that way, then she might make her play...and then you'd have the choice if it really was/is to be.

If you've moved on by then...you'll know, you were/and are worth more than "The One" was willing to give..all along. And, she will find...she is at the loss.

For now, either way, she is gone. Ooooh, visit a "little" with the hottie at the gym and then just simply leave a poem or something for her somewhere on her fav machine just as she gets to it..... It'd be a date after that.

You WOO her Like you do us? And, she'll be U'r groupie too.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, fellow bloggies) Oh, and I am under the influence of sleep aids and wine.

But, my supportive intent is still the same [smiley-wink].

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

CRAP: Forgot about the job thing (it's the booze and OTC Ambien)...you already know what I think. Send in your stuff...your a writer, a good one. You outa' be getting paid what the rest of'em went on strike for.

Okay, I know. Meds and booze kicking in....oooooh, I hope I sleep tonight! Sure'd be easier if I could read the RH 4th chapter....

Anonymous said...

Some fighter pilots suffer from a condition known as "target fixation." They concentrate so intensely on a target that they don't notice the battle going on around them. This commonly leads to them being shot down or missing targets of opportunity. Take a look at your radar. Check your 6 o'clock. You live in a "target rich" environment. Engage as many targets as possible and do not "fixate." Attack a few "soft targets" for practice. Don't try to shoot down an "ace" every time. Small victories lead to big victories. Eliminate the number "one" from your vocabulary. Honestly, that's a number that's far too small for you to worry about. God gave you ten fingers and toes for a reason. If God wanted you to count to one he would have given you one finger - and it would probably be facing towards you. It really is all about numbers... The bigger the better! You've got a week. Good luck and good hunting!

Anonymous said...

She's not too young unless SHE thinks she is! If you want her then go for it! :)

Em

Guilty Secret said...

He he you made me laugh today. You reminded me, the other day I saw Baddie in the gym, said hi and got on with my workout. Later, at home, he said, "I was checking you out on the treadmill, then I realised people wouldn't know you were my girlfriend and they'd think I was a perve, so I had to stop." - ha ha ha!

R.E.H. said...

Jill: For those who'd make it past the 'tryin-ta-smile' phase it might be ;)

TK Kerouac: I try to be the kind of guy who will rise to the occasion, and get on with life no matter what.

TT: Oh, I'm stilll hiding behind those glasses ;)

Yeah, I have to accept that she's gone - not much I can do about that, so I might just as well get on with my life as quickly as possible, and not waste any number of days feeling sorry for myself.

Dana: Maybe I could find a hot chick at a new job!

Jay: Now that's really smart! Send out the offer, and then tell you you're not qualified? I guess it's not only over here that the Unemployment Office has a policy of hiring incompetent morons.

If I can get pictures of the chicks without them noticing - I'll post'em here ;) (Don't hope for it though - I never bring my camera inside)

R.E.H. said...

Dianne: I hate the seperate locker room thing - I would want to enjoy the hotties in the sauna ;)

Jo: Thanks, I do think I handled that well when she was leaving, if I may say so myself.

I'm a guy - it comes naturally to me to check out hot chicks ;)

Farmer's Wife: Don't be p'd off about her sending me a text - that was a sweet gesture of her. We don't ever call on the phone - she don't ever call anyone on the phone, basically.

For the chick at the gym - that would be a good idea, though I'm not much of a writer when it comes to poems ;)

I do hope to find the time to finish some serious writing, and submit it around.

About the Rubicon... well, this past week I haven't had time to write much. I also have the PFC to finish - so maybe at the end of the week I will have the time to write out the 4th chapter.

R.E.H. said...

Anonymous: I love that "target fixation" analogy. And, I will openly admit that it describes me very well... I do tend to focus on that ONE girl, and then I'm trying so hard to get her that I completely forget about everyone else. Sure, I look at them at all, but I don't really zoom in on them.

Emmeline: Yeah, I know. Maybe I should approach her and ask if she likes "older men" LOL!

Guilty Secret: If checking out women on the treadmill makes you a pervert - then I am doomed! How can one NOT check'em out on those machines... did you ever notice what a treadmill does to a womans buttocks?

Excuse me... I need to splash some cold water onto my face.

Casdok said...

Glad to hear your day ended up better thank it started!

tt said...

Oooooooo, I LOVED Anonymous' take on the whole thing! Very good analogy!!! Yea...watch your 6 reh! A few others may be back there checking YOU out... ;)

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the sauna! And I agree, Anonymous had a good theory on targets. But I always figured asking someone out who attends the same gym would sort of suck if that person said No. Because then you have to see her every time you work out.

And know that she said No. And you are still checking her out. I don't know, I'm a pessimist. But I would work the grocery store or some other avenue, rather than the gym.

Tink said...

If for no other reason, you should get over The One for that obvious snub. You don't deserve that kind of treatment, REH! The right chick is out there... Swear. Maybe losing the girl and the job was a direct sign that you're not living up to your full potential. Maybe Fate is telling you to get moving (in the right direction this time).

Leighann said...

WOW! A picture of almost your entire head! Lucky day!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your mini-vacation! Get drunk, get laid.... not necessarily in that order!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on the job hunt!
And I'm glad new "uhm" perspectives have opened up in the Gym.
You did not really have to mention the Sauna though :(
I miss Sauna, sigh.....

Real Live Lesbian said...

Snap a pic of the new chick at the gym so we can see her!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that The One left. But it's good that you are not going to just lay around pining for her. You never know what the future holds for you.

Having that call from the Union guy would have made me severely annoyed.

Aunt Jackie said...

Follow your heart. That's always best advice.

The gym I go to now doesn't have the sauna. Our old gym did. I loved that thing!!! Now I'm fiending for the sauna!

Sparkling Red said...

I went to a class like that when I got laid off and it was a complete waste of time. At the time I was a more compliant person, so I went through the motions. If it happened again today... forget about it!
They really should let you have the money if you so chose. What difference would it make to them?

R.E.H. said...

Casdok: Thanks. Yeah, I'm glad the whole day didn't go like it started.

TT: Sadly, I doubt anyone's checking ME out. But, I guess one can never be sure about these things... one could always hope ;)

Cardiogirl: See. You and I think alike. That's the exact reason I don't ask'em out. I mean - look what happened when I went out on a limb and told someone I know I liked her...

Tink: No, no... that text she sent me was not to snub me off. That was to say goodbye... it was sweet of her ;)

Seriously - I may have made it come out wrong as I shortened it, and of course translated it into english. She surely never meant to snub me off.

But, you still may be right. My chances with her are slim in the romance department, my job was getting on my nerves. The changes may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Leighann: Yeah, I thought it was about time I gave you people a little treat ;)

First drunk, then sex... why is it that that is usually how it goes?

R.E.H. said...

Tequila Mockingbird: I might have to do that just for that conjugal visit... that would be exciting ;)

Nicole: Yeah, the gym is a great place for eye-balling ;)

What? You don't have access to a sauna?

Real Live Lesbian: Can you just picture me casually walking up to this girl at the gym:

"Excuse me. May I take a picture? See... I have this blog, and I happened to mention how incredibly sexy you are, and now my readers want pictures of you. Surely you understand."

Pookie Sixx: Yep. I have to pull myself together and live my life - not sit around longing for something I'm not going to get.

The Union rep pissed me off plenty.

G-Man: Yeah - that would be great. If I got a job that I would start like two months after I stop working at the old place. Then I'd have unemployment benefits for two months, and I would be able to really enjoy life a couple months!

Get on over to the gym! Hella fun once you get used to it.

R.E.H. said...

Aunt Jackie: Oh, you need to find a sauna that has a gym. Any day I don't really feel like going - the sauna afterward is what still gets me over there. Of course, without a good work-out - I'm not deserving of a sauna.

Sparkling Red: I went to about four of them during a particularly terrible time of unemployment that lasted four years!!! That's how bad the job situation is over here.

They won't give me the money because it's all about statistics. When you take one of those classes you are enrolled in a program and as such you are not unemployed... keeps the staggering numbers down, and the government can keep up appearances claiming that they have created more jobs for the people!

Don't get me started on that topic ;)

Leighann said...

Drunk sex is ALWAYS phenomenal! *sigh* I think I'll get a babysitter for this weekend, get the husband drunk, and.... well, you know!

Newt said...

Yes, ask the hot girl out! Ask a few hot girls out. And some not so hot. She's out there! Or maybe she's over here in the states. Along with that fantastic new job. There are more hot girls in California than in all other 49 states combined. Ok, I kid, there are hot girls everywhere. New York has some fine ones too. And Florida, and Minnesota. and.....

R.E.H. said...

Leighann: As long as you're not TOO drunk - then drunken sex is AWFUL! ;)

Newt: From my days in Florida I recall there was certainly no shortage of good looking chicks around. California has all those wanna-be actresses, so that's ought to be a gold mine as well.

She IS out there... finding her is the difficult part ;)

Liv said...

can i double back?

and just say that money isn't even close to all or any of it?

Jahooni said...

I guess I can now get personal on my blog since you inspired me.
Take Care you.

R.E.H. said...

Liv: Well, I guess maybe I'm just chasing the wrong chicks. But, yeah, I know money isn't everything.

Jahooni: I'm glad I could inspire you. It actually feels good to be a little personal - people tend to be so supportive... most of the time ;)

Leighann said...

I come from a line of drinkers, I know how to hold my own AND have great sex! Never fear!

R.E.H. said...

Leighann: When the damn thing stays limp... it's difficult to hold one's own ;)

Leighann said...

Good point! We'll need to RECTIFY that little problem!

Tequila Mockingbird said...

oh, i forgot to say last time, that's a cute picture of you. now, if you shaved your face i would so make out with you in a sauna.

R.E.H. said...

Leighann: Did you mean E-RECTIFY? ;)

Tequila Mockingbird: Phew - as if a sauna isn't hot enough... yeah, I have a bad habit of forgetting to shave ;)