April 19, 2008

Wordzzle / Next Week Preview

After missing out last week, I am back to play the Wordzzle challenge again. This is a fun little word-game that is hosted by the very talented Raven over at Views from Raven's Nest. Head on over to her place to check out the rules of this little game, and find out who else played!

A lot of fun and interesting little stories usually come up during the Wordzzle play, so I recommend going around reading those (they are usually much shorter than the PFC stories).

Lets take a look at the normal 10-word challenge: cocker spaniel, penultimate, fetters, warranty, tarmac, quartz, paparazzi, apple sauce, earsplitting, lackadaisical

And this is the story I came up with:

The paparazzi was there to capture the moment of Adam Sanderman's mental breakdown. His lackadaisical approach during the punultimate race to win this years edition of American Idol was front page news on virtually all of the entertainment magazines.

"You're putting fetters on your own chances to win this thing", was one famous line from one of the judges. Up until the final stages of the show, everyone thought Adam Sanderman would win with ease.

His Quartz watch had stopped working. Not that big of a deal. Get your warranty out and go get it fixed. It became much more of a deal than Sanderman would have ever expected. It's one thing to not focus one hundred percent on winning a competition - a whole other thing not to focus while you're driving a car.

Before he knew what had happened, he had flattened an old lady's
cocker spaniel to the tarmac of the road. In shock, he quickly exited the vehicle to the earsplitting screams of the old lady, and saw a mass that reminded him of apple sauce under the wheels. He snapped. A blubbering mass of incoherent mumblings, he fell to his knees and started to cry.

The paparazzi was there to capture that moment, and the front page of Celebrity Report sported a graphic picture of Adam on his knees crying, behind him an old lady screaming with her hands held out. A close-up picture of the dead dog was inserted, and the caption read:

AMERICAN IDOL'S ADAM SANDERMAN CRUSHED

What is the world coming to?


Ok... I know. I broke one of the golden rules of writing with this one - and I'm sorry about that. I read in a book on writing once that you should never kill a dog if you want to get the sympathy of a reader. Dogs are man's best friend and all - but I have to go with whatever story line pops up in my head from these words. I hope I didn't offend anyone ;)

Then, there is the mini 5-word challenge: spinach, interwoven, compromise, tennis, intangible

Again... I went for the single sentence approach with this one:

There is no compromise to the intangible rule that success as a tennis player is interwoven with eating spinach.

There you have it. My Wordzzle contribution of the week!

Tomorrow is Funday Sunday, and we'll see what I'll have in store for you then. On Mondays of late I have been running my new 7 Deadly Sins series, but will bump the next sin up until Wednesday or Thursday, as I will give you the pictures for next months Picture Fiction Challenge on Monday, and Tuesday's as you all know is reserved for the Weekly Words Challenge. One of those days next week, I am going to go old-style R.E.H. and tell you a little bit about my current situation.

Looks like it will be a busy blogging week ahead!

Don't forget to read up on my PFC story, in case you missed it!

24 comments:

Jeff B said...

The nice thing about a flattened dog is when the have to go outside to pee, you don't have to open the door if it's cold. You can just slip them underneath it.

Oh yeah, I'm hightly offended.

(Just for the record I have a well taken care of yellow labrador.)

Richard said...

I chose a celebrity theme as well, but with a different outcome, sorta. I doubt you'll get too much flack over the dog. It's a common but unfortunate occurence in our fast paced and car filled society.

Rich

PS..I didn't see you on Raven's Mr. Linky..just came by to see anyway.

Raven said...

I'm calling the ASPCA... just kidding. Good stories. I thought the single sentence mini was lovely... and the idol/dog story super clever. And I laughed out loud about the golden rule. Raven's rule... if you can make them laugh out loud, nothing else matter.

R.E.H. said...

Jeff B: Never thought of it like that. We should run over more dogs, so we don't have to open the doors for them ;)

Richard: Welcome! I'll have to come over and read yours too.

I did add myself to the linky... hmmm. Do you have to do it every week?

Raven: Glad you enjoyed them. And, I didn't really mean to hurt the dog - it was an accident! ;)

Yeah, that "golden rule" is one that I don't really pay too much attention to.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Poor puppy...

Can't wait for "Good'ol style r.e.h. blogging!!

Additionally, anxious for the update on what's been goin' on over there in Svedeville. ;)


[Also happily excited about Monday PFC pics!]

Later Gator!!

Akelamalu said...

Oh crikey, should I have been feeling disgust about the dog being run over? I laughed - sorry! :(

You did a great job on both. :)

Karen said...

Nice story. I laughed about the dog too. I played again this week too. I find it so fun.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I was going to get a puppy but I just may make that mistake of flattening the dog also!! This was great!!!

You have a lot of stuff to put up and show next week for us! Slow down.. Rest.. and close your eyes.. Imagine me giving you a massage with hot oils. Rubbing all over your back! opps this is a rated G blog, gotta run!!

smooches!

Betty said...

Good story. I wasn't too upset about the dog, either, the poor, defensless, innocent creature.

Jay said...

Normally I would be bothered by the dead dog, but I don't really like cocker spaniels much. haha

Excellent stories there REH! Good job.

R.E.H. said...

Farmer*s Wife: Anxious, huh? Well, it's not much actually - just a few things I've been meaning to get off my chest ;)

Akelamalu: You laughed at the poor dog? Good... eh, I mean - bad!

Karen: I'll be right over to check out your stories!

Single In The City: Now I know what I'll be dreaming about tonight! ;)

Don't worry about the rating over here... rating is still pending (who knows it might get the dreaded NC17 stamp)

Betty: Welcome! Nah, maybe the dog had it coming... what was it doing out on the street, huh? ;)

Jay: Lucky me it was a cocker spaniel then ;) Thanks - and you did a great job on yours too!

maryt/theteach said...

R.E.H., I don't mind about the dog - the story was excellent. But better than that was the mini-challenge. I believe that the shorter it is but includes all the words the better it is. Yours is fantastic! Psst, between you and me, use "were" (plural) with "paparazzi." The singular of paparazzi is paparazzo. :D

KittySigurdardottir. said...

Great story r.e.h.

That's a fun game to play.And a great opportunity for you to show your writing skill ability,on your blog.

I hope you and single in the city will not be offended by me writing about you two on my blog,today,I named it A Victoria Secret Model.It's at:http://myspace.com/kristenbjorg.

Now,don't get mad at me single and r.e.h.,w don't want any hostility in Blogville,especially since now the talk has developed into hot oil and a massage.What is the fragrance of the hot oil,single?Did you get it at the Body Shop?And is it custom made just for you or both of you?

Dianne said...

I didn't mind the poor dead dog either, I just pictured Simon Cowell instead ;)

Great story and your one sentence is perfect.

Aunt Jackie said...

This Wordzzle thing looks cool too, I don't know if I would have time to do WWC, Photo Challenge AND Wordzzle... Have to pick my poison ;)

Hey I want to invite you to read Bizarro if you want, but I don't know how to send the invite. E-mail me and let me know where to send the invitation, that is if you'd like to read it... No problem if not.

Spiky Zora Jones said...

I was once told by my English Professor that in writing...everything goes. Just say what you want to say...tell that story from deep inside.

It's okay to break rules sometimes if it works with what you want to say. You won't lose the reader if you chose the right words...to hold them.

So stand there in your best bard pose...and tell that story.

I love your posts...you rock sweetie.

R.E.H. said...

The Teach: Welcome! Yeah, I like to try to put the mini-challenge into a single sentence. It's fun trying to find a way to work all the words into one (somewhat) coherent sentence.

Was/Were... unless you think of The Paparazzi as an IT ;) Yeah, I know, my bad - I should've caught that one. ;)

Kristen Bjorg: Welcome! (Lotsa newcomers today - yippeee)

The Wordzzle is fun - you should give it a shot!

Now, on the other thing - I don't have a MySpace account, so I couldn't comment over at your place. I'm not sure I understood you right, but you went from taking some innocent/fun flirting to talking about how men can hurt you with what they write to you in blogs? I hope you do understand that that is what it is... innocent and fun (between me and Single) - Am I right, Single? ;)

Dianne: Did you imagine Cowell as the dog, or as Adam? ;)

Glad you liked it!

Aunt Jackie: Yeah, I can understand that - I don't think I'll be participating in any more "regular features". I hardly have time for those whatever-kind-of posts any more ;)

I'll give it some thought on the Bizarro thing... what kind of juicy stuff do you write about over there? ;)

Spiky Zora Jones: Yeah, I've never been too worried about what I put into my stories... I would rather shock people, than leave them untouched by the story.

Anonymous said...

That is so right my Stud Muffin!!! LOL!!

It is our own lil world of fun!

S.

Anonymous said...

I was pretty heartbroken about the dog killing, but only because it was a cocker spaniel and therefore could have been mine! :(

Hehe good job though.

Em

R.E.H. said...

Single In The City: Stud Muffin! ;) Love that!

Emmeline: Oh, I'm sorry - didn't know you had a cocker spaniel ;) It wasn't yours though... I'm sure of it!

Jo said...

I feel a little bad b/c the applesauce line had me rolling--you're good when you're wicked!

The mini was clever, I always like your one-liners :)

R.E.H. said...

Jo: I actually wrote the apple sauce line much more graphic at first, but went back and changed it... maybe I shouldn't have ;)

Jill said...

Apple sauce? It is more like a smash tomato!
And did you just admited you are an American Idol fan?

R.E.H. said...

Jill: I am NOT an American Idol fan... I loathe all reality type TV shows - lowest form of entertainment available in my opinion. ;)