January 5, 2008

When The Crowds Are Gone

Something funny happened today... I thought I'd share it with you. Nothing revolutionary, but something that made me, my cousin and his woman laugh for a long, long time. I sure hope their two daughter's (13 and 11) didn't fully understand what was so funny.

She - my cousin's girlfriend of 15 years - said to me.

"Yes, R.E.H.! Do it! Often, and hard!"

I was standing right behind my cousin Andy. He didn't see me, and I was out for revenge. See - my cousin has this compulsive desire to tickle people all the time, so I had put my hand out right by his ribcage along his side. I was ready to put on the pressure to make him jump high and squeal like a pig.

She being the victim of his abrupt tickling was pleased to witness the suffering I was ready to inflict on him - and this is what she referred to... that I tickle him often and hard so it really gets him good. Not that I do her - often and hard.

My cousin turned around and was like "What? What did you just say", and then she too realized what she'd just said to me.

Anyway - it was hilarious, and I guess you had to be there. I think my stomach is still cramped up from that fit of laughter.

Well... now that that is out of the way - let's move on to the more serious tone I'd thought I'd share in my post today.

I love music. I love lyrics in music, but no other song in history has hit home like the one I present to you today. I want to share this one with you because the lyrics are so much me it is almost scary.

As you may or may not know, I had dreams when I was younger. I was going to be a star - writing, directing and starring in my own movies. Many thought I had a career going there too - many would compliment and support my talents. As the "Rubicon Heart" story will unfold you will see not only the demise of my heart, but of my desire to be all that (maybe) I could be.

The lyrics of this song "When The Crowds Are Gone" by Savatage, depict this very very well. The section (bridge) that begins "I never wanted to know, never wanted to see..." is something I could've written myself - right out of my heart.

Savatage is possibly the best band that ever existed... from my point of view. This song is just one of many they have done that hit very close to home with me. Maybe I am similar in nature to Jon Oliva (front man of Savatage), which is why I feel so close to their music and the lyrics in particular.

If you remember the "Oh, Holy Night" I posted on Christmas with Michael Crawford singing - that was performed with Trans-Siberian Orchestra - which many of you might be familiar with, especially in Christmas times. TSO is originally a side-project to the band Savatage and was started by Jon Oliva and Paul O'Neill... the inspiration was a song by Savatage called "Sarajevo: Christmas Eve" (which was also put on TSO's first album).

Well, read the lyrics - listen to the song. And, you'll learn something more about this crazy blogger who goes by the name of R.E.H.

*****

SAVATAGE - "WHEN THE CROWDS ARE GONE"

I don't know where the years have gone
Memories can only last so long
Like faded photographs, forgotten songs
And the things I never knew
When the skin is thin, the heart shows through
Please believe me what I tell you is true

Where's the lights, turn 'em on again
One more night to believe and then
Another note for my requiem
A memory to carry on
The story's over when the crowds have gone

All my friends have been crucified
Made life a long suicide true
Guess we never figured out the rules
But I'm still alive, my fingers feel
Gonna play on till the final reel's through
And read the credits from a different view

Where's the lights, turn 'em on again
One more night to believe and then
Another note for my requiem
A memory to carry on
The story's over when the crowds have gone
When the crowds are gone

When the crowds are gone
And I'm all alone
Playing the saddest song
Now that the lights are gone
Turn them on again
One more time for me my friend
Turn 'em on again

I never wanted to know
Never wanted to see
I wasted my time
Till time wasted me
Never wanted to go
Always wanted to stay
'Cause the persons I am
Are the parts that I play
So I plot and I plan
Hope and I scheme
To the lure of a night
Filled with unfinished dreams
I'm holding on tight
To a world gone astray
As they charge me for years
I can no longer pay

Turn 'em on again (repeat)

I never wanted to know
Never wanted to see
I wasted my time
Till time wasted me
I Never wanted to go
Always wanted to stay
'Cause the persons I am
Are the parts that I play
The parts I play

And the light
Turn then off my friend
And the ghosts
Well just let them in
Cause in the dark
It's easier to see



17 comments:

Karen said...

I have never heard this song before. It ceraintly has the passionate, power ballad feel. Awesome.

Angela said...

I think the tickle story translated well, even not having been there. I liked it.

R.E.H. said...

Karen: It is a great song. Check out more of Savatage - fuckin' good stuff!

Angela: It was funny as hell. You should have heard the way she said it. It was instant and full of passion... sort of. Made it really sound like a sexual comment ;)

fiwa said...

It's very haunting. I like the video, but it's very sad. But this is going to be a new year for you, right? Remember those resolutions. You are such a talented person.

lovins,
fiwa

Jay said...

When I was reading this I thought that I had never heard of Savatage, but after watching the video I realized I have. They're good. I like them.

Leighann said...

I'm a HUGE TSO fan so hearing of this band is UBER exciting for me!

(I can't believe I just said 'uber')

This song is INCREDIBLE! I can't wait to hear more!

Thanks for turning me onto them REH!!

L.P. said...

Le sigh.
"When the skin is thin, the heart shows through
Please believe me what I tell you is true"
Loverly.

Jay said...

lol whenever a girl says that to you, you know you must be doing something right!

lol the beginning of that song sure sounded different than the end!

Anonymous said...

Do it often and hard....that's my motto!

tt said...

Hummm,I read the words before I listened. It didn't read like it's sung...to me anyway...:)
It seems a wee bit on the sad/dark side. I liked it though. Interesting.
I am a huge fan of T.S.O!! OMG...love them!!
This is you....???
It's going to be an interesting year isn't it. :)

R.E.H. said...

Fiwa: Thanks for those kind words, much appreciated. The song is very sad, and really paints a picture of how I've felt for many many years.

I don't know, where the years have gone... right there - hits home!

Jay: Everyone should listen to Savatage - I think it should be taught in school! ;)

Leighann: Glad I could turn you on [to Savatage].

Wait til you hear songs like "Alone You Breathe", which Jon wrote for his brother and former band-member (they founded Savatage together), who was tragically killed by a drunk driver. This is an old video, and the guy playing the solo on the guitar is his brother.

I shall remember not to introduce you to my cousin then... although - I think it runs in the family. I tend to enjoy giving a good surprise tickle myself. ;)

Lakota Princess: Great lyrics, right? Jon Oliva is simply outstanding in his song-writing.

I wasted my time
Till time wasted me


and

'Cause the persons I am
Are the parts that I play


WOW! ;)

Jay Cam: It is a comment I like to hear... just not from my cousin's girlfriend - that's just awkward ;)

Actually, the song ends like it started - it's the middle section of it that is different ;)

R.E.H. said...

Preposterous Ponderings: And a good motto it is ;)

TT: Sad and dark... that's pretty much what Savatage is - and deep and thought provoking. Not party-music - but damn good stuff!

Just like TSO they usually do "rock-opera" type albums, which tell a story from beginning to end. "Dead Winter Dead" was the album which inspired the rise of TSO, and was a story about the wars in Yugoslavia, and of the suffering of people there. "Sarajevo: Christmas Eve" was an instrumental song inspired by a lonely violin-playing man in Christmas time as the war rages on.

I could go on forever about Savatage ;)

Yes... this song is very much me.

Dana said...

I had never heard of Savatage nor this song, but will be doing a little digging today to find out more!

Sparkling Red said...

"I wasted my time
Till time wasted me"

Ouch. That's powerful stuff.

R.E.H. said...

Dana: You do that! Every self respecting human being will dig Savatage ;)

Sparkling Red: That's one of my favorite lines too. Progressive Power Metal... well, that's good music ;)

Constance said...

I've never heard the song before. Some things speak to you so strongly it stays with you forever, touches you every time you hear it.

R.E.H. said...

Loving Annie: Very well put. This is certainly one of those things for me.