November 29, 2007

Isn't That Just Typical?

Well, that's just friggin' great. Typical. I love it!!!

Did you read irony into that opening? You should. I am furious! Depressed and just want to kick some serious viral ass.

I know I felt very tired after yesterday's 12 hour day, but didn't think much of it last night. I blamed my fatigue solely on the hard day's work.

I woke up this morning. My throat hurt. I couldn't swallow... there was a big-ass lump lodged somewhere deep down there. I felt my eyelids clinging together as I tried to pry them open, and my entire body was aching.

I thought to myself. I should call in sick today. Then I scrapped that thought. Two reasons.

1. There was only one more day of work left to do before I would enjoy a good 4 days off. There's just no way in hell I am going to spend those wonderful days in bed with a thermometer in my mouth.

2. I was going to the gym after work today - and for the first time in over two weeks I would see The One. She's been friendly towards me ever since that day I told her off about her bitchy attitude. So, I was really looking forward to meeting her.

So... I went to work. As the day progressed, things kept getting worse. I took up a pill-eating habit over the course of the day just to keep myself afloat... just so that I could at least appear to be working most of the time.

But... pretending to work would prove impossible today. Actual work was required, and there was no escaping that. One hundred mattresses were delivered to us today, and there was only I who could take care of that little business. That meant a good 2 hours outside, in the rain and the cold, carrying heavy mattresses back and forth. I had an invasion of customers to deal with at the same time, two of whom had complaints they felt the need to shout about to me.

At the end of the day I knew one thing for sure. There was no way I was going to the gym to meet up with The One. I gave her a call on her cell to tell her I was getting sick and wouldn't make it out of there alive should I attempt to go tonight.

"You do as you wish", she says. "If you don't go, I'm not going either"

I tell her I'll think about it, and ask her where she is now. She commutes, riding a bus. She now works in another town, as I've explained before. She tells me she's almost at the bus-station.

"I'll pick you up at the station then. We'll decide then whether to go or not. If not, I can always give you a ride home."

I did this only because I really wanted to see her. I wasn't going to the gym for sure, and she really doesn't need a ride home from the bus station, as it's only a 10 minute walk for her.

Well, I picked her up. Drove her home, and we sat in my car talking for 20 minutes or so. I was hoping she'd invite me up to her place... but, really I understand why she didn't because I am obviously coming down with something less than pleasant.

So... that was my day. Now I need to find a super-duper remedy to cure my ill, because no fucking way am I going to be sick when I have four days off from work!

No - Friggin' - Way!

26 comments:

Jay said...

Time to attack the cold with full force. Meaning NyQuil.

If that doesn't work try brandy. The drink, not the singer/actress, although she could cure a few problems too! LOL ;-)

Karen said...

I do not recommend this cure, but my grandpa used take shots of kerosene to cure a cold. He was smoker too. I never really reconciled that in my mind.

Anonymous said...

Stay strong, brother.

Hey, no kidding here: you belong to a gym. Here's what you do...

Go purchase a Thurstbuster-sized diet soda or Gatorade. Go to your gym and veg in the sauna, steam bath and spa.

Overhead, take a cool shower, repeat. Keep yourself hydrated.

You'll be cured in a day.

Jen said...

Isn't Brandy the singer/actress in jail? ***laughing***

I. Hate. Being. Sick.

Hate it.

'Nough said.

Constance said...

Hope you can 'mind over matter' and feel great on your day off !

MrRyanO said...

Load up on the Vitamin C, Water, and Vitamin T (Tequila!). It'll either cure you or kill you!

R.E.H. said...

Jay: I'm armed and ready to fight. If the attack doesn't help - Brandy (the singer/actress) is welcome to come over and pamper me.

Karen: Kerosene? I think I'll stick with brandy ;)

Lightning Bug's Butt: I was actually thinking today that a steaming hot sauna could do me some good.

Jen: Yup. Nothing worse than being sick!

Loving Annie: It is increasingly looking like my days off will be... hell! :(

Rockdog: I'm at the point now where I really don't care which way it goes... cured or dead - just give me relief!

g-man said...

Karen- That is disturbing.

R.E.H.- RockDog has the cure! Vitamin C for sure, tequila cause really what can it hurt! And lots of fluids. (Except kerosene)

Newt said...

I kinda like the gatorade and sauna idea. It sounds warm. And with temps below zero, well, damn, that just sounds nice.

fiwa said...

I'm for Vitamin C and tequila. Because tequila is never a bad idea, and because last week when I had the golf ball in my throat, I loaded up on the vitamin C and was better the next day. I hope you are lucky like I was.

Feel better!
fiwa

Anonymous said...

Brandy is in jail? Where have I been?

I have no cure for your ails. But there is a new spray that you can shoot in there to lesson the pain. I think the sauna trick sounds divine about now. Hot and steamy, that could melt anything away couldn't it?

Hope you feel better, like, yesterday!

Beautifully Profound said...

Feel better REH

R.E.H. said...

G-Man: Yeah, I sure like RockDog's suggestion. I think I'll combine his with LBB's and shoot some tequila in the sauna.

If you don't hear from me again... well...

Newt: Below zero already? Sounds really cold.

Fiwa: Oh, I hope it will pass in a day too. Would be nice to enjoy my days off.

Butterfly Girl: Never heard of that spray... what's it called?

Hot and steamy is always good :)

Beautifully Profound: Thank you.

And that goes for all of you!

Jay said...

"pill-eating habit"... druggie!
i know a super-duper remedy!

'tie your feet to a cement brick and then jump into a 20 ft pool'

lol gets rid of that sickness every time!

Rock Chef said...

I am very rarely ill when it is work time. Book a few days off and I might as well stock up on drugs...

Get well soon!

Tequila Mockingbird said...

agreed... tequila is NEVER a bad idea (both me and the drink).

anyway, i've heard people say "starve a cold, feed a fever" i like to drown both. alcohol is sterile, right?? but when i'm sick at work, i take a potent combo of robatussin, amoxycillian, and sudafed. yes, it makes me a little dizzy, but it kills stuff i didnt even know was plaguing me.

Sparkling Red said...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I guess you don't know about The Rule. The Rule is that if you've been working hard and finally plan to take more than one day off in a row to get some well-deserved rest, you have a 90% chance of getting sick on those days. Sorry, I didn't make The Rule. But I have been subject to it.
Here's hoping that you have a quick recovery!

R.E.H. said...

Jay Cam: Yeah, but does that remedy allow me to enjoy the four days off? ... Didn't think so.

Rock Chef: That's the evil scheme of whatever powers control human sickness. Just won't let us have a good time...

Tequila Mockingbird: So... grab a bottle and come join me in the sauna. I'll have a shot of both kinds of tequila and see which one does the most good ;)

Sparkling Red: See! That's why I don't like to play by the rules...

Anonymous said...

Being sick totally sucks. Hope you've been feeling better. Unfortunately, it IS that time of year.

Em

R.E.H. said...

Emmeline: Thank You. I HATE this time of year...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!!


I hope you feel better soon!

R.E.H. said...

Preposterous Ponderings: Congrats? Is that meant to refer to the above post as in "congrats on finishing the NaBloPoMo", or is that, as it appears, a "congrats on coming down with a shitty cold?"

Thanks anyway ;)

Guilty Secret said...

Aw... well it's taken me a while to catch up, so I hope you're feeling better by now.

R.E.H. said...

Guilty Secret: Still a little under the weather, but I'm headed in the right direction.

Tequila Mockingbird said...

ha! like there is any question which shot of tequila would do the most good.

R.E.H. said...

Tequila Mockingbird: Yeah... the one out of a bottle right?

No? ;)