November 3, 2007

Thank God for Google Maps

Boy, do I love the internet at times. Didn't have the slightest idea how to reach my destination today, but using Google maps I now feel like I know exactly how to get there. It even gave me an estimated time the trip would take.

Back in the day... one would've had to look at some worn old map bought at a gas-station some 10 years earlier, and then run your finger along the highways, checking a myriad of tiny roads trying to figure out the closest route to the city you wanted to go to. Then, hope that those roads are still there in reality.

Once there, you'd have to stop at another gas-station just to buy a map of the city itself, in order to look up the address you are headed to, and we all know how city maps will twist your brain when trying to figure out how to get there... not to mention road-blocks and road-work making things in reality very different from what the map shows.

Now... internet! Log on. Fill in a field that says "from", and then where you want to go. Viola!

A virtual map is lined out with the best, quickest route. And, directions are being written (at intersection this and that make a left onto Main Street). Fucking brilliant!

Wish me luck for tonight! It will be one heck of a party... and The One's been texting me all morning - she feels we are leaving too early, while the rest of us wants to have plenty of time to get ready when we get there.

5 comments:

Beautifully Profound said...

Good luck, REH. If "the one" does anything to upset you, we will verbally abuse her for days. :D Other than that good luck and be safe.

? said...

My sense of direction is so bad, I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag. I live by Google Maps and Mapquest.

Have fun!

Guilty Secret said...

I love Google maps too. Google maps and Google earth both ROCK!

Jay said...

There's always one person who wants to go on a different schedule. LOL

Google maps works pretty good. I've never tried an GPS device in a car though, but two people I know that have one say it doesn't always get them to the correct location for some reason.

R.E.H. said...

Beautifully Profound: Thanks for sticking up for me. No verbal abuse is needed for now though, as she treated me quite well the whole time. :)

Bottle Blond: LOL.

Well, the Google maps weren't fool proof. Did get lost once there on account of a named intersection which simply wasn't there... so I could never figure out where to make that right turn.

Gas stations aren't such a bad thing after all...

Guilty Secret: Yeah! It's really neat how you can zoom in on them and almost feel like you are right there, driving your car.

Jay: Never tried the GPS thing myself either. Thinking I should get me one of those, seeing as my sense of direction is virtually non-existent. But, if they won't take me where I want to go either... well, gas stations may simply be irreplacable.