November 19, 2007

What should one say?

I was doing the laundry today, again... yeah, I do that once a fortnight - on Mondays. And, something happened today that isn't so easy to talk about... at least, not with the person it concerns. It got me thinking though, as I've encountered this a couple of times in recently...

It is nearing the end of my laundry, everything is washed, and I am mostly just drying clothes and folding them up nicely. Since we have a basement laundry room where I live, I hear someone slowly shuffling their feet along the corridor leading up to where I am. Had I not known better, I would probably have been scared shitless, thinking an actual zombie was headed my way - that is what the footsteps sounded like.

Of course, I knew exactly who those feet belonged to - long before I had to see who it was. See... I have this neighbor - he's an 80+ year old dude, and he walks in slow motion. Frankly - the guy is rather fit for his age, but he does have this kind of bent over walk, in which his feet never seem to actually become airborne - they are just slowly dragged along the floor as he makes his way forward. I imagine it must've taken him about 15 minutes to get from his apartment down to the laundry room.

I step outside, and there he is, finally having stopped by the board. We use sort of a button to book time in the laundry room, and he's browsing the board looking for available slots.

"Hey, there Old Buddy". I actually used his real name - but "Old Buddy" is what I'll call him here.

"Hello...", he continues to look at the board. "I haven't been down here for a very long time"

"No?", I say.

"I just wash my underwear in the bathroom sink".

This is when I start to really notice that the guy smells... actually he reeks. I don't know - did he lose control of his bladder... like three days ago... and hadn't noticed yet?

Now, I don't want to bad mouth the old guy or anything. He's a very nice guy, and I've spoken to him several times running into him in the stairway. This is a new smell that I haven't noticed about him before. And... it is unbearable. You know... the kind of smell that reaches into your nose and turn your nosehairs into little prickly needles.

Now, I can't just tell the old fella he reeks, can I? So, what can you do? Well... I did what I think most people would do... shut up about it, and try to stay as far away from him as possible.

He finally decides on a day to do his laundry and parks his laundry button in the correct slot - after a little guidance by me.

And... then he walks into the laundry room itself. Pulls out a chair, and sits down.

"I'll sit down here with you for a while. You don't mind, do you?"

Aaaw, Jesus Christ. Yes I mind! You stink!

"No, that's ok", I say instead.

"I don't have anybody to talk to very often, you know".

I feel genuinely sorry for the guy. He starts telling me of how three wives of his passed away. First one had a heart attack, second one had cancer, third one died of "some other disease"... don't know what that may be. I've heard the story a few times before. It seems to be his ice-breaker. He does recognize me as his neighbor, but he never remembers my name and obviously he doesn't remember having told this story a few times either. He does remember at all times that I sell furniture for a living. And that is what he will talk about after having told me of his deceased wives. And, of all the other women he has courted on the dance floor.

After about 20 minutes or so, the old man finally decides it is time to head back upstairs to his apartment... and it is yet another 15 minutes before that stench is gone. Can you believe that? How that horrid smell would just linger for fifteen minutes?

Now... like I've hinted at. I can understand an old man like him not smelling all peachy at all times. It is a sad thing actually, and I wouldn't want to tell him anything about it. But, the whole experience today got me thinking about a conversation we had at work last week.

We have this temporary worker. She comes in every Tuesday and does some little things, like vacuuming and restocking the shelves. This is a rather young girl, I think about 23 or there about. She walks around in a cloud of sweaty stink at all times.

This is last Tuesday:

"Is she coming in today?", one of my co-workers asks our boss.

"Who?"

"The Tuesday girl", he explains.

"Yes, she is"

He moves uncomfortably in his chair. He's got something on his mind, and he wishes to get it off his chest.

"Uhm... I... I don't know... Should I tell her?"

"What?", I break in on the conversation.

"Didn't you notice? She stinks of sweat"

"Yeah, I did notice"

"I mean. I can't just walk up to her and tell her that she stinks, right?"

"No, that wouldn't be very nice"

"No... I know. But, someone should really say something. Maybe she doesn't know, you know?"

...and the conversation continued like that for another few sentences. In the end, we all agreed to keep our mouths shut about it.

But... really. What is the proper thing to do in these situations? Because, yes, they should really know so they can do something about it, right?

And... it worries me, you know. Because people don't say these things, that makes me worried. What if I smell? Would anyone have the guts to tell me that I stink if I did (do?)... because, I'd sure like to know so I could get the hell home and take a long shower, scrub myself clean and bathe myself in deodorant. Use a gallon of mouthwash or whatever is needed to come back smelling fresh like the summer breeze.

And... speaking of which. Tomorrow is Tuesday - so Tuesday Girl is going to be there again tomorrow... I will have to take a whiff to see if she decided to shower before work this week.

16 comments:

fiwa said...

That's really tough. My instinct would be to let the old man be. You don't run into him that often, right? That seems to be a fact of older people, probably for several reasons. It could be depression, it could be that he's afraid of falling, or it could just be that he's got a mild form of dementia and just forgot he hasn't bathed.

On the other hand, for little Miss Tuesday Girl... that's a place of business, so I think it's perfectly acceptable for someone to let her know, in a professional way, that she needs to up her grooming standards when she's going to be in the office. I wouldn't want to have to be the one to say it, though. :)

Beautifully Profound said...

Poor old guy, it would probably be best if he washed his undies in the washing machine instead of his sink. At his age it's great that he's independent but he should really have someone who checks up on him.


As for the Tuesday girl, I don't know. I always make sure I smell good! Even though I am allergic to deodorant I still wear the damn stuff! I hate smelling of B.O..

Jay said...

wow thats an amazing conversation starter:

"I just wash my underwear in the bathroom sink"

Old Buddy must have been pretty popular when he was younger!

Kell said...

I just dropped in to say a belated happy birthday!

R.E.H. said...

Fiwa: Yeah, I might approach my boss about it tomorrow if Tuesday Girl still smells... it should really be her job to tell her, right? :)

Beautifully Profound: Another neighbor used to help him out with a lot of things, but that neighbor has since moved away.

Must be tough to be allergic to deodorant... maybe try a different brand? I used one once that gave me a rash... only that one brand caused the trouble for me.

Jay Cam: He always has these great things to say in the beginning of any conversation. I think I will post another story involving him one of those days... it's one that got me laughing.

I'm pretty sure he used to wash his underwear traditionally when he was younger... he did have 3 wives, remember... ;) That's right - they used to wash his underwear for him!

R.E.H. said...

Kell: Oh... you kind of snuck in there while I was typing responses.

Thank You. :)

Anonymous said...

Give all the stinky people a box of soap and deodorant for Christmas!

Newt said...

One of my major phobias. Not knowing I stink. There are some people that walk by and they smell so fresh and clean. But we get so used to how we smell that we no longer smell ourselves. Do I smell like a fresh breeze or a 10 day old corpse in a trunk? I recently had a former co-worker ask me what perfume I wore because I always smell so good. BINGO - good sign. But, there is still the breath. And those days I forget to put on my perfume. I promise though, if you'll tell me, I'll tell you when we aren't quite so nice and flowery.

Karen said...

Smelly people are the worst. I have had that problem at the poker table a few time. Yuck! Though over purfume can be just as bad

I am sure you are very hygenic.

Samantha_K said...

Douse them with febreeze and run.
Or just hose them down.

Is it worse than that time the raccoon got stuck in the copier?

g-man said...

"Hey, there Old Buddy". What came to mind was a really old Bob Denver.

I have a wife who tells me in no uncertain terms when I may be offensive (olfactorily, verbally, visually, whatever)

You can always tell her nicely by saying:

1. You must work out a lot to be sweating like a pig like that. OR

2. holding a can of feminine deodorant spray, "You might want to keep this in your car since your deodorant seems to have worn off. OR

3. without holding a can of spray, just telling her on the side that you think her deodorant stopped working. OR

leave a can of deodorant by the vacuum cleaner.

R.E.H. said...

Preposterous Ponderings: How rich, exactly, do you think I am? ;)

Newt: Sounds like a deal. You smell very good today, Newt. Nothing to worry about.

Karen:Yeah, I've had that at the poker table too. I guess some people perspire more when they're nervous than others... Overdoing it on the perfume is no good either... gives me a headache.

Samantha K: Hose'em down... imagine their surprise if I did that without warning.

Sorry, do not recall ever having a raccoon stuck in my copier...?

Emmeline: See.. that's the part I don't get. If you're young, you should care. If you're young and single (as I believe she is) you should really care.

G-Man: I like the idea of leaving a can of deodorant by the vacuum cleaner. Very discreet and anonymous...

Tequila Mockingbird: Holy crap! That sounds tough... if that is something you have to deal with every day, you should really break the news to this co-worker. It's just not right having to eat in the car...

How does one manage to put smashed assholes into a sack, by the way?

Anonymous said...

Go together and buy the girl a little basket of smelly stuff, "For all the hard work she does."

The gent? He needs help. Or he is just stuck in the olden times where they took a bath once a week and wore the same clothes for days. He stuck around in the laundry room to rest. It may be too much for him to get his laundry there and back. If he has family I would mention it to them. If it were me I would want to know someone is looking out for him, but everyone isn't always like that.
Good luck!

R.E.H. said...

Butterfly Girl: Good idea... if indeed she did some hard work. Caught her yesterday, sitting on a showcased couch folding towels. That is not what our customers should see...

About the old man. No, he doesn't have any family (at least none that care about him, as far as I know). I know there are a couple of people who help him out every now and then, but he is surprisingly fit for his age, and he goes out every day, drives a car and does his grocery shopping... it's just that it takes him forever to get to where he's going when he walks...

Guilty Secret said...

I think you're perfectly within your rights to go to your boss and ask him / her to politely point out to the girl that she needs to shower before work. In your work environment, you shouldn't have to put up with stuff like that. Show some professionalism, Tuesday girl!

But the old guy... that's much more difficult. It think it's great how you are friendly with him and seem to look out for him. I think you have to just continue doing that, try to ignore the small, and keep your eyes open for any other signs he might need some more support.

R.E.H. said...

Guilty Secret: Yeah, I know, but I'm not much affected by her odor... I am mostly in the back stock room, so I don't have to see her much.

About the old man, yes, I will continue to be friendly towards him. I see no reason to be rude to the old fella.